NYT article on Waino

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

NYT article on Waino

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

In an era of throwers, a pitcher remains.
Adam Wainwright is having fun, as expected from a 40-year-old pitcher in a renaissance season. More pointedly, though, he made a decision to have fun six months ago, back in spring training, when his schedule could have annoyed him...

“There’s so much fun stuff there that people are missing by just raring back and throwing the ball as hard as they can.”

Wainwright had carved up the Mets the night before. He lasted only six innings, his shortest start in a month, but it was good enough to win for the fifth start in a row. Later Wainwright trolled the fans, telling reporters with a smile that he used a changeup and two curves to fan Jeff McNeil with the bases loaded — a sly reference to his famous strikeout of Carlos Beltran that clinched the 2006 N.L. championship series at Shea Stadium.

“I like nostalgia,” Wainwright said. “I gave the people what they wanted.”

The funny thing? Nobody even referenced Beltran in a question. That was all Wainwright, still loving his work at age 40, because he knows how to do it in the most rewarding way.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Re: NYT article on Waino

Post by Radbird »

Can’t wait til they boo him next year.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Thanks for posting that. Great article!

Pujols is almost certainly the greatest player I'll ever get to watch for the Cardinals. Ozzie will always be my favorite, because he was magic to me as a kid, and nothing ever replaces that. But Adam Wainwright is a delight and will be a truly cherished Cards HOF'er, and I wonder if he might also be the pitching coach some day.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Fantastic article, and some great advice for young baseball players/pitchers near the end.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

heyzeus wrote:
September 16 21, 7:40 am

Pujols is almost certainly the greatest player I'll ever get to watch for the Cardinals. Ozzie will always be my favorite, because he was magic to me as a kid, and nothing ever replaces that. But Adam Wainwright is a delight and will be a truly cherished Cards HOF'er, and I wonder if he might also be the pitching coach some day.
Spot on.

Waino and Yadi could both be pitching coaches. Or maybe Yadi is Mgr and Waino pitching coach???

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

I don't know. I want to see their Claw technique before choosing.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

GeddyWrox wrote:
September 16 21, 9:40 am
heyzeus wrote:

Spot on.

Waino and Yadi could both be pitching coaches. Or maybe Yadi is Mgr and Waino pitching coach???
Yadi - Mgr
Waino - Pitching Coach
Albert - Hitting Coach

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Radbird wrote:
September 16 21, 10:02 am
GeddyWrox wrote:
heyzeus wrote:

Spot on.

Yadi - Mgr
Waino - Pitching Coach
Albert - Hitting Coach
Actually think Waino is heading to the broadcast booth; probably part time until his children are raised. Then later he might want to do a little coaching.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

GeddyWrox wrote:
heyzeus wrote:

Spot on.

I feel like all of them would be bad at coaching. I know that sounds weird. Coaching is a different animal.

"Bad" may be strong. But less than ideal. Give me the guys like Stubby Clapp who fight their way through the minors for years and watch development at every level. Not stars that have gifts from god.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

You have a good point. Larry Bird was not a very good coach, yet a great player. IIRC, Paul Molitor wasn't a great manager, either.