NLWC GDT: Cardinals(Wainwright) @ Dodgers(Scherzer) 7:10 PM CT

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Re: NLWC GDT: Cardinals(Wainwright) @ Dodgers(Scherzer) 7:10 PM CT

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

A Giants series would've gone exactly like our top of the first went, but on the receiving end. Nothing particularly hard hit, just a bunch of [expletive] runs scored in [expletive] ways.

Tags:

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Turning the page from baseball, for now. When the Cards are out of it, I suddenly forget how much I love this game in general.

We better spend some [expletive] money this winter..

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

Order of blame for the loss:

1. Offense (by a mile)
2. Shildt (Waino too long, bullpen management in 9th)
3. Reyes (He didn't execute his pitch)
4. TJ (Always the walks)

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

dmarx114 wrote:
October 7 21, 9:07 am
Order of blame for the loss:

1. Offense (by a mile)
2. Shildt (Waino too long, bullpen management in 9th)
3. Reyes (He didn't execute his pitch)
4. TJ (Always the walks)
Feels about right. Though I will give the offense credit for making Scherzer work, and I might swap 3 vs. 4.

If the Cardinals could have just escaped the 9th, I was liking their chances into extra innings. Jansen likely had another inning in him, but he typically fades in that second inning of work. I liked what the Cardinals still had in their pen for multiple innings (Flaherty/Hudson) vs. what the Dodgers had left. Roberts would have likely gone to Urias next, which would have played into the Cardinals' strength against lefties.

Ultimately, we got beat by walking a guy who hit .165 this year and was swinging out of his cleats. Make Bellinger beat you.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

RE: 0-11 with RISP. That's bad, mkay. But, 1 kudos for getting guys into scoring position, with 3 steals, against good pitchers. And, 2, it's not like the dodgers were throwing slop up there. Sure, a couple guys missed a couple pitches. They chased a couple bad pitches. But the dodgers pitchers were .... pitching extremely well. That [expletive] happens.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Kinda insane that the Dodgers can throw Knebel/Treinen/Jensen out there. Almost unfair. All three are elite closer level.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

heyzeus wrote:
October 7 21, 9:31 am
Kinda insane that the Dodgers can throw Knebel/Treinen/Jensen out there. Almost unfair. All three are elite closer level.
Exactly, and while it was questionable taking Scherzer out when he did, it was pretty obvious Roberts was comfortable with his bullpen and had a plan. A plan that was violently executed. Good process. Good results. IMO.

There are only a handful of pitches where the hitter really screwed up (the hanging slider to Nado, Scherzer's first pitch to TON in the 5th?, and Carlson swinging at a ball 3-1 against Kelly are all that really come to mind). Well, and the entire 6th inning, but whtaever. Getting beat by a 99 mph fastball or chasing a breaking pitch on a 3-2 count is simply baseball. It's frustrating when it happens time and again, and sure it would be nice to have a team full of Juan Soto's up there. But, that's not reality.

Like I said, 0-11 looks bad, but when the majority of that 11 comes from babip, luck, and stolen bases, it needs to be remembered the pitchers were pitching well.

Jayramball04
All-Star

Post by Jayramball04 »

after a nights sleep, not upset, the better team won, we are close afew more pieces,and also keep out of wc spot, we are actually better then the brewers, just needed a few more weeks to catch them...apoligize for laying into manager, its his team, but i still stand by not using reyes there, wasnt the right spot.anywhoo... the future is bright

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

Lesson wrote:
October 7 21, 8:38 am
phins wrote:
October 7 21, 8:18 am
Lesson wrote:
October 6 21, 10:41 pm
phins wrote:
October 6 21, 10:37 pm
Lesson wrote:
October 6 21, 10:36 pm
phins wrote:
October 6 21, 10:31 pm
Lesson wrote:
October 6 21, 10:30 pm
phins wrote:
October 6 21, 10:29 pm
Shildt went back to dumbassery and it ended the season.
To be fair, the options he had in the bullpen were cantaloupes and watermelons.
McFarland has pitched far better than Reyes this year. Flaherty is a far better option than Reyes.
I would not want Flaherty in that position since he just got back within the past 2 weeks and hasn’t been used in that situation.
But you'd rather use Reyes?
I’d rather keep McFarland in or have better options at reliever.
So, no. You would not rather have Reyes.
Correct, but considering Bellinger walked I don’t fault Shildt for going to Reyes.

I fault Mozeliak for not having better options for Shildt to use. I would not trust Hudson or Flaherty in that situation currently.

And the batters doing nothing with RISP is a bigger problem than Shildt changing relievers from a makeshift bullpen with 2 outs.
I respect this opinion.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Lesson wrote:
October 7 21, 8:38 am
Correct, but considering Bellinger walked I don’t fault Shildt for going to Reyes.

I fault Mozeliak for not having better options for Shildt to use. I would not trust Hudson or Flaherty in that situation currently.

And the batters doing nothing with RISP is a bigger problem than Shildt changing relievers from a makeshift bullpen with 2 outs.
This is the best take. Agree 100%