Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Perennial All-Star

Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Mark Polishuk that occurred on October 9.

A lot of good questions this past weekend. I included a bonus Q&A about the impending CBA that looms over the entire postseason.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-live-chat-11609.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Bigger loss- Muncy or Devin Williams?

Mark Polishuk
I would say Muncy just because even in a short postseason series, a very good position player is more important than a valuable reliever.
What would a Jack Flaherty extension look like and does he take it figuring how the past 2 years both parties haven’t had the best of dialogue with money?

Mark Polishuk
Disagreements in arbitration don't always necessarily mean a player and team are destined to part ways, but I have my doubts Flaherty sticks in St. Louis over the long term.
How do you rate the GMs? Winning is obviously a big factor but I think the payroll has to be a controlling factor. I also think consistency over a period of years is a factor. My top 5 are: Cashman, Neander, Mozeliak, Anthapolis, and Antonetti (no order). Friedman simply buys talent. Maybe too harsh since he did well with the Rays.

Mark Polishuk
It's so hard to rate GMs/PBOs since there are so many factors that we're not aware of (i.e. whether an executive's moves or non-moves are directed by ownership rather than the exec himself).

I'll cop out and hold off on a top five, but I will say that you are drastically underrating Friedman. The Dodgers do a fantastic job of drafting and developing their homegrown talent, and in finding hidden gems from other teams --- it's far from Friedman just throwing money at big names.
Do the Cubs make a splashy move like Correa or Scherzer or is it just the bargain bin?

Mark Polishuk
A lot closer to the bargain bin than the high-rent district.
Think Yankees have any interest in DeJong with Cards? Low AAV and just committed for two years.

Mark Polishuk
This might be an interesting move for the Yankees if they did only want a bridge to Volpe. Adding DeJong's excellent glove is a boost to the infield defense, and DeJong might also join the long list of hitters who seem to improve once they leave St. Louis.
Why do you think the Cubs won't be splashy? What are they saving for? And is there any chance they will bring back any of the previous core? Maybe Schwarber is worth a look if the universal DH is implemented in 2022?

Mark Polishuk
The Cubs' spending has been very limited over the last few years. Until I actually see them make a notable signing, I have to believe they'll continue to limit their dollars, and perhaps use 2022 as a further retooling year.
Should the Cardinals chase one of the premier shortstops to strengthen their lineup or go after pitching depth?

Mark Polishuk
Why not both? The Cards have a lot of money coming off their books.
What would you think of the Cubs trading Willson Contreras to Miami for Max Meyer, Jorge Alfaro and another prospect of some sort?

Mark Polishuk
The Marlins aren't giving up Meyer for one year of Contreras.
Did the Reds collapse or is that a false narrative?

Mark Polishuk
"Collapse" is a little strong, since while they didn't play well down the stretch, they also kind of ran into a buzzsaw in the red-hot Cardinals.
Don’t know why, having been stung so many times by them, but is there finally reason for optimism for the Pirates, given their rebuilt minor league system? Any thoughts as to them competing in the next 2-3 years?

Mark Polishuk
Competitive Pirates baseball in 2024 should be the team's goal, that seems like a decently realistic timeline for this rebuild. Obviously quite a bit of work still be done in two years' time, but two years is also a good amount of time.
Do we see a new CBA before spring training or are we seriously looking a delay, or worse, potential cancellation of the 2022 Baseball season?

Mark Polishuk
I think a work stoppage of some sort is possible, though I would like to think that even if the league and the MLBPA aren't all the way there yet on a deal, enough progress will be made that Spring Training can at least go ahead as scheduled while negotiations continue.

It isn't an exaggeration to say that a major work stoppage that erases some or all of next season would be a catastrophe for baseball, and might even spell the end of it as a major sport.
Last edited by mikechamp on March 29 22, 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tags:

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Post by CardsofSTL »

It isn't an exaggeration to say that a major work stoppage that erases some or all of next season would be a catastrophe for baseball, and might even spell the end of it as a major sport.
Yeah let's not have any of that. Though it seems like Manfred wants it.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Re: Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Post by Radbird »

Should the Cardinals chase one of the premier shortstops to strengthen their lineup or go after pitching depth?

Mark Polishuk
Why not both? The Cards have a lot of money coming off their books.
My off-season mantra: Why not both?