Cards 2022 Payroll

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Re: Cards 2022 Payroll

Post by sighyoung »

Jocephus wrote:
November 11 21, 5:32 pm
Cardinals signed OF Moises Gomez to a minor league contract.

Gomez was released by the Rays in late October after struggling at the Double-A level throughout the 2021 campaign. The 23-year-old has been playing well in the Venezuelan Winter League over the last couple of weeks. He'll be organizational outfield depth for St. Louis in 2022.
Nov 11, 2021, 2:52 PM ET
https://www.mlb.com/prospects/2020/rays ... mez-664332

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

I thought this was a pretty good read about the Cardinals rotation, framed around the role of Dakota Hudson this season. I think it echoes a lot of my feelings, but more nicely than how I would say them:

https://stlbullpen.com/2021/11/12/cardi ... ee-agency/

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
November 12 21, 9:41 am
I thought this was a pretty good read about the Cardinals rotation, framed around the role of Dakota Hudson this season. I think it echoes a lot of my feelings, but more nicely than how I would say them:

https://stlbullpen.com/2021/11/12/cardi ... ee-agency/
Yep. Nice read.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

According to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the Cardinals remain in negotiations to re-sign free agent right-hander Luis García.

García played a key role in the Cardinals' late-season playoff surge, posting a stellar 3.24 ERA, 0.99 WHIP and 34/8 K/BB ratio across 33 1/3 innings (34 appearances) after signing as a free agent in mid-July. The 34-year-old right-hander would give the Cardinals' bullpen another experienced high-leverage reliever to complement fireman Giovanny Gallegos next season.
Source: St. Louis Post-Dispatch
Nov 13, 2021, 9:20 AM ET

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

I'm cool with that. He seemed like a good fit here.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

His conclusion is spot on:
This is the right time for DeWitt and president of baseball operations to leave their comfort zone. Be daring. Making the playoffs is an important first step, and the Cardinals have reached the postseason in eight of the last 11 seasons. But you get there, then what? They’ve won just one round in their last four postseason appearances, haven’t won a NL Championship Series game since 2014, and are 5-15 in their last 20 playoff games.

As I’ve said and written many times, there is plenty of randomness in October baseball – surprises, upsets, teams playing better than expected, teams playing worse than we could have imagined. Regular-season form becomes less relevant once you take the postseason stage and try to make it through the turbulence, the mini-slumps, and the anxiety. Or maybe you’re the underdog team that suddenly zooms through October in an epic run to the title. The Cardinals’ 2006 and 2011 postseasons proved that point many times over.

The Cardinals need to put more of their ambition and planning into building a better team. A team that will not only make the playoffs, but have a more substantial chance of going deep into the postseason once they get there. The calibratin’ Cardinals need to adjust and start calibratin’ for a trip to the World Series instead of squeaking into a wild-card game.

And if not now … then when?

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

So 18 million to spend for the Cardinals and that’s BEFORE Mo claimed to raise it some?

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

Did mo say payroll was rising?

I believe you guys, but I just don’t remember that being said?