MrCrowesGarden wrote:
November 3 21, 7:52 am
Jocephus wrote:
November 3 21, 7:46 am
cardsfantx wrote:
November 3 21, 7:24 am
This is how everyone else must’ve viewed the 2006 cardinals

That ATL roster? Queue the home alone yuck GIF
further reinforcement that you don't need a juggernaut to win, i imagine mo and dewitt are doing the jack nicholson grinning head nod gif
Atlanta proved it's incredibly easy to fill black holes in your lineup at the deadline by trading prospects you'll never miss. The Cardinals did this too with Happ and Lester, but they could've set their sights higher and still lost nothing.
ATL didn’t trade for world beaters

The WS MVP they traded for is pretty much trash
I never said they traded for world beaters, and I'm not sure how you inferred that. I'm saying that if you have negative value guys in your lineup, getting the 20th-25th best player at that position at the deadline is incredibly easy.

Tags:

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Re: WS GM6: Braves(Fried) @ Astros(Garcia) 7:09 PM CT

Post by cardsfantx »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
November 3 21, 8:15 am
cardsfantx wrote:
November 3 21, 8:05 am
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
November 3 21, 7:52 am
Jocephus wrote:
November 3 21, 7:46 am
cardsfantx wrote:
November 3 21, 7:24 am
This is how everyone else must’ve viewed the 2006 cardinals

That ATL roster? Queue the home alone yuck GIF
further reinforcement that you don't need a juggernaut to win, i imagine mo and dewitt are doing the jack nicholson grinning head nod gif
Atlanta proved it's incredibly easy to fill black holes in your lineup at the deadline by trading prospects you'll never miss. The Cardinals did this too with Happ and Lester, but they could've set their sights higher and still lost nothing.
ATL didn’t trade for world beaters

The WS MVP they traded for is pretty much trash
I never said they traded for world beaters, and I'm not sure how you inferred that. I'm saying that if you have negative value guys in your lineup, getting the 20th-25th best player at that position at the deadline is incredibly easy.
I’m saying I don’t see any difference in the trash ATL acquired and the trash STL did

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Duvall was a league average hitter with a plus glove, Joc was near league average... but he was passable. I'll give you Rosario and Soler being lottery tickets, but Soler was showing signs of turning it around about a week before he was traded.

Superorganism
Veteran Player

Post by Superorganism »

[expletive] the Astros

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

The core of that team is Freeman, Albies, Acuna, Riley, Swanson, Fried. Sure, they filled some holes from outside of the organization, but both the Astros and the Braves have a foundation built on home-grown players. The Cardinals need to do better there. Hopefully, we're seeing some signs of that.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Superorganism wrote:
November 3 21, 8:36 am
[expletive] the Astros
...and also the tomahawk choppin Braves.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Could be worse. I have plenty of Braves fans friends because of TBS in our childhood. I'm happy for them. I like their fandom much better than my dip [expletive] Red Sox fans (die hard since 2004) who honestly don't know the Red Sox made the playoffs because they weren't in the World Series: but still--had they won--would have celebrated like I will when the Blazers win a title.

And really, who wants to see Alex 'I'm sorry choices were made' Bregman do press in a championship t-shirt? And if the Rays won, maybe they could get up to 20-30 fans and then never move to Portland.
Last edited by BottenFieldofDreams on November 3 21, 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

The Braves had huge holes and traded for guys likely to help. Soler hit 48 homers in the last full MLB season, and was a great change of scenery bet. Similar deal to Eddie Rosario, who hit 32 homers just two years ago. I can't tell you who the starting pitching equivalents of those guys are, but they definitely weren't Happ and Lester. Mo quarter-assed the trade deadline, and it's hard wondering if a marginal improvement could have put us past that WC game.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Did Atlanta use this opportunity to announce a new stadium? They're about due.

Spider John
Hall Of Famer

Post by Spider John »

Either Goold or Ben Fred said in a chat that the Cards at one time had an interest in Rosario. I don't remember ever reading that before.