Free Agents

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Free Agents

Post by CardsofSTL »

Free Agents
MLB announced the list of players who are automatically now free agents, including seven members of the St. Louis Cardinals: P Luis García, P J.A. Happ, P Kwang Hyun Kim, P Wade LeBlanc, P Jon Lester, P TJ McFarland and P Andrew Miller.

The list does not yet include players who will have 2022 options declined, which for St. Louis is expected to include Matt Carpenter and Carlos Martinez.
Link above lists all free agents grouped by position.

Tags:

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: Free Agents

Post by CardsofSTL »

Cardinals need to sign Garcia. The rest of that list I'm not too worried about. TJ Macs can stay for bullpen depth.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

I’m not sure Garcia can repeat.

I’m okay with them not entertaining any of these guys and building from within. Kodi Whitley is making the next step. Angel Rondon is about ready. Thompson may also be a reliever now too. Hicks is back. Helsley back.

Relief pitchers are so volatile. Especially year to year.

I think they should kick the tires on a short term Joe Kelly reunion. He’s somehow throwing harder as he ages.
Last edited by Big Amoco Sign on November 3 21, 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
November 3 21, 3:53 pm
I’m not sure Garcia can repeat.

I’m okay with them not entertaining any of these guys and building from within. Kodi Whitley is making the next step. Angel Rondon is coming. Thompson may also be a reliever now too. Hicks is back.

Relief pitchers are so volatile. Especially year to year.
Garcia should still be pretty cheap so I think he's worth it. I wouldn't want them to drop big dollars on any of them if it meant taking dollars from other potential signings; but it really shouldn't.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

I'm worried about Hicks. He has barely pitched in three years and they brought him back from the AFL after two outings because they'd "seen what they needed to see" or some [expletive] comment like that. Doesn't smell right.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

CardsofSTL wrote:
November 3 21, 3:57 pm
I'm worried about Hicks. He has barely pitched in three years and they brought him back from the AFL after two outings because they'd "seen what they needed to see" or some [expletive] comment like that. Doesn't smell right.
Sounds like it was his choice to leave. Probably didn’t want to risk getting hurt for exhibition ball.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
November 3 21, 3:59 pm
CardsofSTL wrote:
November 3 21, 3:57 pm
Sounds like it was his choice to leave. Probably didn’t want to risk getting hurt for exhibition ball.
Doesn't make me less concerned. He won't be able to be counted on for much workload next season.

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

Garcia is going to get some money. Hope we give him $4M or something on a one-year deal. He was excellent here and even normal regression is a well above-average pitcher.

The rest? Meh.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

How will we plug these gaping holes? Remember, however, as you peruse trash heaps, the Goodwills that haven't jacked their prices too high, and the curbs of the wealthy neighborhoods on trash day--Mo has been Born Again with philosophy.

Obabikon
AAA Minor League Player

Post by Obabikon »

CardsofSTL wrote:
November 3 21, 3:55 pm
I wouldn't want them to drop big dollars on any of them if it meant taking dollars from other potential signings; but it really shouldn't.
Completely agree here. We have a lot of arms, and spending money on BP arms (even 3-4 mil) isn't really going to change the team dynamics. However, if you take that 3-4 mil (add it to whatever else they're willing to spend) and try to fix either our ss or 2b issue, it could be a big difference maker.