Expiring CBA/potential work stoppage (lockout p.18)

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Re: Expiring CBA/potential work stoppage (lockout p.18)

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Meanwhile, you can still buy player jerseys on MLB Shop right now. I wonder how long that lasts.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
December 2 21, 9:28 am
Hey whaddya know, the value of all things is created by labor
Very true. Also, without billion dollar stadiums to play in and lucrative tv deals to broadcast the games to the masses, the players skills are...worth very much less. Though, it would be awesome if the players started getting together and putting some pick up games at a local high school on youtube. I'd subscribe, smash the like button, and turn on notifications.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Well, I don't think the owners should actually own the stadiums either since they didn't build them. I won't say any more about that.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

heyzeus wrote:
December 2 21, 9:00 am
Baseball seems determined to cut its popularity back down to post 94 strike levels, and this time there will be no steroid homer boom to bring the fans back. Going forward, we are fans of a niche bigtime sport, a la the NHL. Maybe it already was and I've been in denial.

I know MLB and MLBPA have to give statements, and have to put out a press release spin. But they're pure bull [expletive]. It's money. That's all this is. we all know it. Ownership profits are a black box that they are not required to disclose, while player salaries are public record. Players want more of that pie, owners want to make the pie higher and keep as much of it as they can.

Pro sports are harder and harder for me to care about with each passing year. The people who do jobs that actually matter (teachers, nurses, janitors, EMTs, etc) make the same paltry money year to year, which adjusted for inflation means effective pay cuts, while middling middle relievers who survive to free agency make millions, and TV deals and franchise value inflation make the owners billions. Harder and harder to care, y'all. I still love baseball as a pure sport, but man.
Really good post. Agree.

Lesson
Grandmaster Flashchat

Post by Lesson »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
December 2 21, 9:57 am
Well, I don't think the owners should actually own the stadiums either since they didn't build them. I won't say any more about that.
In most cases they don’t. A city usually owns the stadium and signs a lease with a team or another business that’s owned by the owner of the team to operate and bring events into the stadium.

That’s what the Blues do(the consortium company of the Blues operates the arena). Rams never owned the Dome. Bengals and Reds don’t own their stadiums. Jerry Jones doesn’t own Jerry World.

But yes, subsidizing stadiums shouldn’t be a thing.
Last edited by Lesson on December 2 21, 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
December 2 21, 9:53 am
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
Very true. Also, without billion dollar stadiums to play in and lucrative tv deals to broadcast the games to the masses, the players skills are...worth very much less. Though, it would be awesome if the players started getting together and putting some pick up games at a local high school on youtube. I'd subscribe, smash the like button, and turn on notifications.
And without the players, TV is worth much less. Mike Trout and co. saying "okay we're all playing this little organized ball thing for 4 weeks down at the park" would bring the cameras. Someone would want to record. Someone would want to spectate.

No one wants to see Bill DeWitt sit around collecting checks.

Lesson
Grandmaster Flashchat

Post by Lesson »

When the NFL had their lockout, their network started the Top 100 active players.

I don’t think the NHL took this dramatic of a step in 2012, same with the NBA.

[expletive] Manfred and the owners.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
December 2 21, 10:17 am
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
December 2 21, 9:53 am
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
And without the players, TV is worth much less. Mike Trout and co. saying "okay we're all playing this little organized ball thing for 4 weeks down at the park" would bring the cameras. Someone would want to record. Someone would want to spectate.

No one wants to see Bill DeWitt sit around collecting checks.
Definitely. Like I said, I hope they do it.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Re: Expiring CBA/potential work stoppage

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Radbird wrote:
December 2 21, 6:21 am

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Sports in 20k seat stadiums is fine. MLS is super fun. Nothing wrong with baseball getting more nichey. Except for all these guys arguing right now--it's a big concern these myopic bozos are getting stuck up their rich asses.