Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Mark Polishuk that occurred on November 14.

He chatted for over 2 hours again, so a lot of questions this time. I included a bonus Q&A about Tommy John.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-live-chat-11857.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Do the Cards try to cure all of their problems internally, or will they actually spend a little money this off-season?

Mark Polishuk
The Cards seem to be one of only two teams in the NL Central that are trying to win, so they should be making extra effort to outlast the Brewers. "Spending big" might just entail one notable starting pitcher and one notable bat (probably a middle infielder).
Cleveland has been working the trade market since the end of the World Series now and they looked at trading for Bryan Reynolds and Jesse Winker at the deadline. Would any of these guys be realistic for Cleveland as they have a roster crunch and tons of prospects to give up? Even Plesac could be involved in a trade.

Mark Polishuk
Given how the Reds seem to be in fire sale mode, Winker has to be considered a viable trade chip at this point. The problem is, the Guardians aren't the type to offer to absorb a contract (i.e. Akiyama or someone) off the Reds' books to lessen the big prospect cost of a Winker trade.
Winker might be more viable than Reynolds at this point, given how the Pirates are known to be asking for the sun and the moon in return.
Wondering if you think the Cards will spend what it takes to get a Stroman or the like? Seems they are standing pat with the offensive side of the game.

Mark Polishuk
I mentioned the Cards earlier, but Stroman is such a good fit that I can't believe the team wouldn't have interest. His grounder rate in front of that defense would be scary.
Aaron Judge for Josh Hader as the core to a trade. Thoughts?

Mark Polishuk
It'd never happen, but man, imagine the headlines.
Luis Castillo to the Yankees for Jason Dominguez, Devi Garcia and Clarke Schmidt. Fair deal for both sides.

Mark Polishuk
If the Yankees offered that trade package, I'd suspect the Reds say yes pretty quickly. But I also suspect that Dominguez is virtually untouchable in trade talks.
Is it more depressing to be a Reds fan or an A’s fan? Neither owner gives their team a chance to be competitive.

Mark Polishuk
The A's have been in contention more often than not for the last 20+ years, so being "competitive" isn't the issue. But I grant your larger point, it's awfully frustrating to see your team either back off from spending after essentially just one year (Reds) or never really make a spending push (A's).

If you're an A's fan in Oakland, however, you definitely have the edge in the depression sweepstakes since at least Cincy fans know their team won't move.
What does a Flaherty extension look like or do you see him on another team at some point?

Mark Polishuk
I'm leaning towards another team. It's not a rule that all players who have contentious arbitration (or pre-arb) dealings don't stay with their teams long-term, but it doesn't bode well.
Any chances Tigers reunite with Castellanos? They need OF help and would help their offense a lot.

Mark Polishuk
I doubt Castellanos wants to return to Comerica Park, he has been vocal about how the ballpark didn't really suit him.
Who has a better chance of signing with the Phillies: Kris Bryant or Nick Castellanos ?

Mark Polishuk
I'm not sure about "better chance," per se, but I would guess Bryant. He's a better positional fit for the Phillies' need, and he wouldn't cost a draft pick since he isn't a QO player.
How solid in your opinion was the Brosseau trade for the Brew crew?

Mark Polishuk
Very solid. Brosseau is a useful and versatile player, and he was hitting well in 2019-20.
Yankees and Brewers are obvious candidates for Olson. Do you have a dark horse team or teams for Olson?

Mark Polishuk
Guardians, Padres if they can unload Hosmer, Rays, Marlins, Mariners.

Even some teams who have a good 1B in place might be inclined to make a move if Olson can be had at the right price.
First, I need reassured, Joey Votto isn’t going anywhere right? I saw him mentioned as a trade candidate in a CBS Sports article. Second, am I right that the young talent and farm system for the Reds this time around gives us more reason to be optimistic about their chances than the last go around with a “rebuild”, “reboot”, whatever you want to call it?

Mark Polishuk
Votto has a no-trade clause, and he has been adamant about remaining in Cincinnati for his entire career. It's possible he might change his mind if the team is going to rebuild and not compete, but I'd bet on Votto staying put.
As an addendum--the Cards could send Dejong or Sosa for Manaea instead of AAA players. Dejong is good power and very affordable.

Mark Polishuk
This is a plausible scenario, with Sosa being the likelier choice if the A's are as cash-strapped as they seem.
Matt Olson for Hader?

Mark Polishuk
That doesn't solve Oakland's payroll crunch, since I think Hader is projected for even more in arbitration than Olson. Also, it'd take a lot more than just Hader for the Brewers to land Olson, since a star 1B is more valuable than a star closer.
Are the Brewers more likely to trade Hader or one of their big 3 starters?

Mark Polishuk
Hader, since as good as he is, a top-flight reliever is more easily replaceable than a top-flight starter.
DeJong to HOU?

Mark Polishuk
DeJong would be a good fit, as a bridge to Pena and as a SS replacement that wouldn't break the bank. If the Astros got DeJong, they could then spend more on pitching or maybe a CF like Marte.
With no obvious fit, how do the Cards handle Nolan Gorman?

Mark Polishuk
Assuming the DH spot is available, that opens up another avenue for at-bats. A Gorman/Edman platoon at 2B seems like a logical move.
Cubs leading division so far in off season. $10 million for Miley. Is this a sign of things to come with opening checkbook? Won’t take much to win division.

Mark Polishuk
I still have my doubts that the Cubs will spend serious money for a full-on push to contend. Not that $10MM is chump change, but for a team with a lot of rotation needs, having Miley suddenly fall to them on the waiver wire was basically a no-brainer.
Realistically, what year does the Pittsburgh Pirates contend: 2023 or 2024?

Mark Polishuk
Given the state of the NL Central, we can't rule out 2023 if some of the Pirates' young guys start to show some real progress this year.
Why isn't Tommy John in the HOF? 288 wins, 164 of them after the surgery, plus 6 playoff victories. Three 20-win seasons.

Mark Polishuk
I feel like both John and Frank Jobe (the surgeon who came up with TJ surgery) should both be in the Hall.

Tags: