Re: Will the Cards keep Flaherty?

Post by Magneto2.0 »

Socnorb11 wrote:
December 3 21, 4:17 pm
Big Amoco Sign wrote:
December 3 21, 4:05 pm
Socnorb11 wrote:
December 3 21, 3:42 pm
Can someone elaborate on why Flaherty wouldn't want to play for the Cardinals?
Soured on FO is my guess. Not sure it needs elaborating. It’s stemmed from arb issues I’m guessing. Maybe there being no extension yet is an issue with him too.
I'm asking why we're assuming that he won't want to stay. Has he said that?
Ther Arb negotiation got a little pretentious, but I don't believe there's any indication that he won't resign, all things being equal. I'd doubt he'd give the Cardinals a discount, but I also don't believe "he can't wait to get out of St. Louis" either.

ThatGuy
Perennial All-Star

Post by ThatGuy »

I wouldn't be surprised at all if he leaves. I'm not sure he's been stifled in St. Louis, per se, but he's definitely very outspoken on social justice issues and I could just see him wanting to be back home.

I'd love for him to stay and think he's worth the investment, but I don't know if DeWitt has the stomach for it.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

It's not so much that will Flaherty want to stay in St. Louis but if he stays healthy and puts up near Cy Young type of numbers will the Cardinals pony up and pay over 30 million a year?

Superorganism
Veteran Player

Post by Superorganism »

He needs to pitch 175+ innings and not suffer lingering injuries. Then he can be considered for a long term big $ extension.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

If they offer to pay him what he's actually worth then I'm sure he'd stay. He won't be afraid to try free agency though and he certainly would be interested in LA if they came calling.

As I recall, he said that he didn't like the process of arbitration but that he didn't blame the Cardinals for operating under the system that exists. I don't think he dislikes being a Cardinal at all.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

He bonded big time with Gibby - who were he still with us would probably tell him to go for the big bucks.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Superorganism wrote:
December 4 21, 2:48 pm
He needs to pitch 175+ innings and not suffer lingering injuries. Then he can be considered for a long term big $ extension.
Let me tell you something about Miles Mikolas and Steven Matz.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

CardsofSTL wrote:
December 4 21, 2:59 pm
If they offer to pay him what he's actually worth then I'm sure he'd stay. He won't be afraid to try free agency though and he certainly would be interested in LA if they came calling.

As I recall, he said that he didn't like the process of arbitration but that he didn't blame the Cardinals for operating under the system that exists. I don't think he dislikes being a Cardinal at all.
Same I don't get the impression he's anti-Cardinals or staying. It's all about will the Cardinals pay him.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
December 3 21, 7:26 pm
MinorLeagueGuy wrote:
December 3 21, 4:16 pm
If he's healthy consistently through his arb years he won't have to worry about getting his money. If he's 1 year on, 1 year off regarding health, he will definitely be testing the market and the Cards will let him. Especially if he's prideful enough to run his mouth every year when arb comes up. Let your game doing the talking.
He won his arb so “running his mouth” (weird way to put it) was justified. Cards tried to sneak him on the cheap.
Yeah it was harsh. I was salty about something else. I hope he stays healthy, we need him healthy, and I hope he gets rich playing a long time for the Cardinals.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

I think his injury this year, while not an extreme worry like an elbow or shoulder problem, casts enough doubt that along with the front office’s inherent conservatism makes it unlikely they’ll push through and extend him this offseason. That means they’d want to see him put up a healthy star-caliber season, and if he does then I think at that point he’s a year from FA and probably sees it close enough that any pre-FA/loyalty discount disappears and that means he makes it to FA. They could still sign him in FA and there’s no reason he absolutely can’t be extended, but I think doing so requires someone (probably the front office) breaking with their default nature and I’m not placing bets on that happening.