Does Kenny Boyer belong in the Hall of Fame?

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball

Do you think Boyer should be in Baseball's Hall of Fame?

Yes
42%
No
42%
Jose DeLeon
17%

Total votes: 12

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Does Kenny Boyer belong in the Hall of Fame?

Post by CardsofSTL »

Boyer misses out on Hall of Fame election
Entrance to the National Baseball Hall of Fame may come the way for the late Ken Boyer one day, but 2022 will not be that year.

Boyer was not selected to Cooperstown after being up for discussion by the Golden Days Era Committee, one of 10 players under consideration by that committee -- which is comprised of members of the Hall of Fame, executives and veteran media members -- and 10 more up for debate by the Early Baseball Era Committee (pre-1950) this go-around.

Boyer's shortcoming in this year's discussion does not preclude him from being considered for the Hall of Fame by committee once again in future years.

Though Boyer was not selected, his accomplishments in St. Louis remain hallowed. A slick third baseman who won five Gold Gloves (including four in a row), 11 All-Star nods and, most notably, MVP in 1964, Boyer might be the best Cardinal to still not be in the Hall of Fame.

His 58.1 bWAR amassed as a Redbird is higher than Hall of Famers Enos Slaughter, Ted Simmons, Dizzy Dean, Lou Brock and Joe “Ducky” Medwick, among others. Boyer was central to the 1964 World Series team, leading the Majors with 119 RBIs in the regular season and smacking a pair of homers in the World Series -- a tide-turning grand slam in Game 4 and an insurance homer in the decisive Game 7 -- to come out victorious, along with Kaat, over the Yankees and his brother Clete, the opposing third baseman. He is the only player in franchise history to hit for the cycle twice.

Most indicative of his value: Boyer is the only player or manager (in this case both) to have his number retired by the club without being in the Hall of Fame.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Re: Does Kenny Boyer belong in the Hall of Fame?

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Does Evan Longoria belong in the hall of fame when his career is over?

Boyer is similar.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
December 6 21, 1:24 am
Does Evan Longoria belong in the hall of fame when his career is over?

Boyer is similar.
I look forward to that poll when Longoria retires.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Eva Longoria yes, Evan Longoria no.

KenBoyer14
Everyday Player

Post by KenBoyer14 »

If Ted Simmons is in the HOF, Ken Boyer should be there, too. Of course, my username might show some bias. But I'll never forget what a great Cardinal he was for many years. And that Grand Slam in Game 4 of the '64 Series was a thing of beauty.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

IMO the hall of fame should mean something.

I didn't necessarily agree with Ted Simmons being an HOFer. IMO, WAR is typically a good starting point. Some exceptions made for some players. Maybe a player like Simmons who played a position hard to quantify. Ichiro is another exception since it is a Baseball hall of fame and he had a hell of a career starting so late and a good Japan career too. Plus Ichiro is literally famous. Posey should be in. I think Votto should get in. He has a unique skillset. Edmonds definitely. Ryne Sandberg should be the cutoff.

I wouldn't be mad if Boyer got in though. He was good.

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

It's a tricky question because Cooperstown is already so watered down and mired in controversy with who is in and those being kept out.

I think Boyer is better than the worst player in the Hall. Harold Baines and Tony Perez are in. He's got a similar resume as Andre Dawson.

I voted yes but would rather see them be more selective going forward. His comps are Bobby Bonilla and Robin Ventura who aren't in either and I think that's about right.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

MLB wants to water down the playoffs, why not water down the HOF too. everyone gets a trophy!

Lesson
Grandmaster Flashchat

Post by Lesson »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
December 6 21, 1:45 pm

I didn't necessarily agree with Ted Simmons being an HOFer. IMO, WAR is typically a good starting point. Some exceptions made for some players. Maybe a player like Simmons who played a position hard to quantify. Ichiro is another exception since it is a Baseball hall of fame and he had a hell of a career starting so late and a good Japan career too. Plus Ichiro is literally famous. Posey should be in. I think Votto should get in. He has a unique skillset. Edmonds definitely. Ryne Sandberg should be the cutoff.

Care to elaborate on Ichiro?

Not going into SABR stuff too heavy(too lazy to do that currently), but he has the hardware to go along with 3,000 hits, most hits in a season, etc that most HoFers have without considering his career in Japan, no?

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Lesson wrote:
December 6 21, 3:11 pm
Big Amoco Sign wrote:
December 6 21, 1:45 pm

Care to elaborate on Ichiro?

Not going into SABR stuff too heavy(too lazy to do that currently), but he has the hardware to go along with 3,000 hits, most hits in a season, etc that most HoFers have without considering his career in Japan, no?
I’m pro-Ichiro if that isn’t clear. Yeah he doesn’t have the WAR others (though he does have 57 fWAR) have but he also played late and has Japan—my only point. He is a surefire to me.