Chad Cordero's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Perennial All-Star

Chad Cordero's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with former MLB player Chad Cordero that occurred on December 16. He is a former Expos/Nationals reliever who also played briefly for the Mariners. After sitting through Christian Colon's chat last week, he wanted to do a chat, too.

There's not a lot of NL Central questions in this one, either, but the insight into other issues is what I'm finding cool about these new chats. Therefore, you'll see a lot of bonus Q&As. I highly encourage you to click on the link and read the entire chat.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/live-chat- ... 12073.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Chad - what are you up to in your post-baseball career?

Chad Cordero
After I retired I went back at coached at Cal State Fullerton for 2 years and then in the Reds organization for 2 years as well. The last couple years however I've been coaching both high school and travel softball out here in California. I was a little hesitant when I was first asked to coach softball but I love it now. It reminds me of old school baseball because of all the small ball that's played. I love that part of the game.
Who is one player you always dreamed of playing with growing up that you actually got to share a clubhouse with?

Chad Cordero
Ken Griffey Jr. My younger brother was a huge fan of his and I remember going to watch him play when he was with the San Bernardino Spirit. He had such a joy for the game and that smile he had was so pure.
Any favorite teammate who might not exactly be a household name?

Chad Cordero
My two favorites were Dmitri Young and Robert Fick. They both would do anything for their teammates. They always made everyone laugh, including Frank Robinson.
What is your favorite ballpark to play in?

Chad Cordero
I always loved going to Wrigley because of the atmosphere and history that was there.
Who was your most favorite strike out victim?

Chad Cordero
Ken Griffey Jr. He was 0-5 with 4 k's.
Chad would you have considered pitching for the Cardinals if you could’ve?

Chad Cordero
For sure. St. Louis fans were always great and very knowledgeable. I loved talking to them in the bullpen during games.
What is one moment in your baseball career where you were like “woah I’m really here right now in the big leagues.”

Chad Cordero
That would have to be my debut. I remember we were playing in Miami and I got the first 2 hitters I faced out on about 6 pitches, but then I realized where I was and proceeded to throw 3 straight pitches to the backstop against Carl Pavano. I remember my pitching coach and catcher coming out to make sure I was ok and I had to put my glove over my face cuz I couldn't stop smiling.
Who was the hardest player you faced in your career?

Chad Cordero
That would have to be players and they hit back to back with Braves. I would have nightmares of facing Chipper and Andruw Jones.
What are your thoughts on Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens, A-Rod, etc. going to the HOF?

Chad Cordero
Personally I feel like the majority of them should get in, but maybe put them in separate category.
Chad, I know your time here was brief, but I still remember you making it back to the bigs with us! Flat brim hats... what was the inspiration and who was was first -- you or George Sherrill?

Chad Cordero
Seattle was great. I think I was before George Sherrill but Dontrelle Willis was wearing flat before I made it up so if anyone should get the credit it's him. I loved the look and feel of a flat bill hat. I always felt awkward when I bent it.

Not... Sorry Dontrelle?
Chad, do you feel the game needs to be sped up for younger fans (pitch clock, maybe limiting pickoff throws, etc.)?

Chad Cordero
I understand why they are trying to speed things up, but for me that's what I love about the game is that there's no time limit. It's hard to watch some of these rules that have been put into place because to me it's getting away from what the game is about. If anything, they should get rid of some the promotions between innings or commercial breaks cuz that's what takes up a lot of time.
Do you have a suggestion for how kids can develop into pitchers that don't have access to lots of $ or elite baseball teams? (They live in the middle of rural nowhere ... or a developing country, for example.)

Chad Cordero
You don't need a lot of money to be successful because these new techniques aren't for everyone. When I was growing up, I never played on elite travel teams and had a private pitching and hitting coach. If a kid wants it bad enough, they will find a way to be great.
What is one thing about pro baseball that is not actually that great that fans may not realize?

Chad Cordero
The travel can be tough sometimes. I remember in DC we had the Sunday night game against the Mets and we had to hop on a plane right after to head to LA for a game the next day. We ended up getting into LA around 7 am and by the time we got to the hotel it was around 9. Luckily Frank told us we didn't have BP that day, so we got to show up at 5 instead of 2 for the game.
How much do you think travel ball and kids playing baseball year-round is part of the reason for so many Tommy John surgeries these days?

Chad Cordero
Personally it's because too many kids are focusing too much on one sport too early. I see too many kids only playing one sport. Kids should be able to play other sports because in my eyes you won't get burnt out and you'll be more athletic. Also, there's too many coaches who only care about those $2 rings they win each tournament so they let kids throw kids throw back to back games where they throw over 100 pitches in each one.
You seem very passionate about helping kids develop. Would you ever consider taking a head coaching job at a university or high school if given the opportunity? Or do you prefer to roam around at your own freewill?

Chad Cordero
I was asked this past season if I wanted to be the head coach at a high school and I turned it down because I hate dealing with parents. I'd rather focus on working with the kids than dealing with complaints about random things that don't make sense.
Last edited by mikechamp on March 29 22, 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tags:

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: Chad Cordero's NL Central comments

Post by CardsofSTL »

I like these player chats.

TGantz
R-E-S-P-E-C-T...What Dr Pepper Means to Me

Re: Chad Cordero's NL Central comments

Post by TGantz »

Chad Cordero was nails in his prime