Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Mark Polishuk that occurred on December 24. Apparently, he holds a chat on either Christmas Eve or Christmas Day every year. And as you'll see from a poll result below, there were nearly 730 people with nothing to do on Christmas Eve, so they spent it in a MLB chat... during a lockout. Seriously.

All NL Central teams mentioned this time. I included a very debate-worthy bonus Q&A, along with a follow-up to it.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-live-chat-12120.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I miss the days when there were 15+ teams who could legitimately contend. Back in the 80’s the Tigers, Twins, Brewers, Pirates, A’s, Yankees, Phillies, Cardinals, etc., all had legit chances of making the World Series. Will we ever see this again or are baseball economics too far gone to get back to that level of competition?

Mark Polishuk
I guess it depends what you mean by "legitimately contend, but 15 teams had winning records last season. The World Series champion was a mid-market team that was maybe a "borderline contender" heading into October since they had only 88 wins.
In your opinion, which of these teams: Baltimore, Pittsburgh or Arizona will be the first to have a winning season? (82 wins or more)

Mark Polishuk
Which of these teams will be the next to have an 82-win season?

Diamondbacks (54.6% | 398 votes)

Orioles (26.3% | 192 votes)

Pirates (19.1% | 139 votes)

Total Votes: 729
Do you see the Reds trading any starters before opening day? If so, who?

Mark Polishuk
I would think Gray, just because the Reds are reportedly more open to dealing him than either of Castillo or Mahle:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/11/ ... -gray.html

If a team really knocked the Reds' socks off with a big offer for Castillo or Mahle, however, I do think they'd make that deal.
I was hoping McNeil was available to go to my Cardinals. .850 OPS career vs RHP off a down year. Can he play any first? I like the fit otherwise.

Mark Polishuk
I'm sure McNeil could handle 1B if he had to, but it's not like the Cards are exactly hurting at first base.
McNeil to St. Louis would be an interesting but kind of odd fit, since they basically have a lesser McNeil in Edman.
Does Rick Porcello find a deal this offseason or is he all done? He’s still relatively young (32). I would think some team like the Pirates would take a chance on him if the price was right.

Mark Polishuk
It's been a long time since Porcello drew any buzz. Unless something has changed since last year, I think teams might have just moved on.
Next Cardinal to get extension? I love Flaherty but Moz might have burned that bridge. Thoughts?

Mark Polishuk
I have to imagine they'd have interest in seeing what it would take to lock up O'Neill or Bader.
Small, Turang and Mitchell for Matt Olson. What do you think?

Mark Polishuk
The A's could get more from another team, or demand more from Milwaukee.
What would be the best fit for Nelson Cruz? San Diego, Toronto, and Seattle all seem like good options.

Mark Polishuk
Brewers stand out if the NL gets the DH.
What has to be adjusted to Adell for Sonny Gray to happen?

Mark Polishuk
The Angels aren't dealing Adell for two years (at most) of Sonny Gray.
If you had a HOF vote, who would you vote for? =)

Mark Polishuk
Bonds, Clemens, Rolen, Helton, Ortiz are in. And I'm perpetually on the fence about Wagner, Kent, Andruw, Sheffield.
If the Reds could trade Moustakas, would a Suarez and Amir Garrett for Matt Chapman work for both sides?

Mark Polishuk
No, because the A's would want no part of Suarez's contract.
What does Milwaukee need to add to be legitimate World Series contenders? Their current pitching staff is WS caliber if you ask me.

Mark Polishuk
In a word, hitting. I mentioned Nelson Cruz as a possibility earlier in the event of the universal DH, and Renfroe replacing JBJ is a good move.
What do the Pirates need to give up in trade for Amir Garrett?

Mark Polishuk
Why would the rebuilding Pirates want Amir Garrett?
What would you rather have: A team that wins a World Series and has nine straight years of mediocrity (90 losses or more), or for a team to not win a World Series but have ten straight years of 90+ wins?

Mark Polishuk
What would you rather have?

Your team wins 90+ games for 10 straight years, no title (54.3% | 292 votes)

Your team wins one World Series, then nine years of 90+ losses (45.7% | 246 votes)

Total Votes: 538
Flags fly forever. I'm surprised by that poll.

Mark Polishuk
It's an interesting debate. I'd personally opt for the title, but resigning yourself to nine years of lousy baseball can get pretty dull.

Tags: