Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Mark Polishuk that occurred on January 1.

The usual mix of NL Central questions again. I did get a chuckle out of 1 chatter who asked a question posing as "DeWallet & Mo". Ha! I included a bonus Q&A about... Betty White?... and another about an offseason deadline.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-live-chat-12149.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
What will the Angels do at SS? Would they forego another SP and go for Story? Any other mid-tier options out there (Simmons and Iglesias are out in their case I'm sure).

Mark Polishuk
Story is probably unlikely, given that the Halos already gave up one pick for a qualifying offer free agent (Syndergaard). That is, unless the Angels decide to just splurge and forego another pick in the name of winning now.

Mid-tier options seem the likeliest bet, or maybe a trade (DeJong? Kim? Walls?) The Angels might also move Fletcher to SS and sign a second baseman, but Fletcher is probably best served as a 2B.
What would it take for the Royals to trade for Sonny Gray? Do they have what it takes without including their big 4 prospects, Witt, Pratto, MJ and Lacy?

Mark Polishuk
Depending on the Reds' financial situation, I wonder if KC could get away with offering a couple of mid-tier prospects and just taking all of Gray's contract off the Reds' books.

Or, if KC picked up a player like Shogo Akiyama and paid a portion of his salary, too.

Obviously the Royals might not be the best fit for this scenario since their own budget isn't huge, but teams with more payroll space to leverage could or should explore such deals with Cincinnati.
Do you think the Cardinals would sign Albert Pujols to a one year deal to be a DH and then have a Waino, Yadi, AP retirement tour?

Mark Polishuk
This has been rumored for ages, though the Cards have enough right-handed bats already that signing Pujols would seemingly be mostly for ceremonial reasons more than strict need.
1992 was the last time the Pirates won their division and the last time the Yankees had a losing season. Which streak do you think ends first?

Mark Polishuk
Which happens first?

Pirates win their division (27.8% | 230 votes)

Yankees have a losing season (72.2% | 598 votes)

Total Votes: 828
So if you're John Mozeliak and want the Reds to part with Tyler Mahle, can it be done without losing a top 5 prospect?

Mark Polishuk
Probably not. Especially since the Reds will probably want a premium for moving Mahle within the division.
Do you think Cherington has a shot to turn the Pirates organization around? Specifically in player development and putting together a roster in the next 2-3 years that could compete?

Mark Polishuk
The Pirates have already added a bunch of young prospects under Cherington, and their farm system has steadily risen in organizational rankings. As frustrating as this must be for Pittsburgh fans, some pieces are being put into place.
I was led to believe after the new cable deal, after Wrigleyville was finished, there would be all this money for the Cubs. It sure doesn't seem to be true?

Mark Polishuk
In fairness, the pandemic threw an unforeseen wrench into everyone's plans. And the Wrigleyville developments apparently ended up costing a lot more than expected.

But, to your point, that doesn't explain why the Cubs suddenly stopped spending almost entirely three years ago.
Do you think the Pirates should/will trade for a contract (ex. Eric Hosmer/Robert Hassell) to get prospects?

Mark Polishuk
This type of deal would make a lot of sense for Pittsburgh, except I wonder if ownership is willing to okay any type of serious spending.
Is Josh Donaldson to Milwaukee a help for them?

Mark Polishuk
Sure, except it'd be hard to fit him into their payroll.
It’s been nothing but crickets in STL. Any word on what the Cards might do post lockout?

Mark Polishuk
Somewhere, Steven Matz sheds a single tear.

Some kind of clarity is required for the 2B/SS situation, whether the Cards stand pat or trade someone (and then sign someone). Assuming the NL gets the DH, another bat will be required on that front, too. The Cards could really use a good left-handed hitter to help balance out their lineup.
So say the Nats did try and trade for Suarez from the Reds, what prospect would you think would be fair to attach to Suarez and his contract going back to the Nats? Thanks.

Mark Polishuk
Depends on the Nats' preferences, and obviously Cincy wouldn't move a Lodolo type. But maybe a 5-10 type like Ashcraft or Hinds?
Am I the only person that thinks Shogo Akiyama could be a productive player? When he was getting consistent playing time at the end of 2020, he was looking good.

Mark Polishuk
Akiyama is tough to gauge because of his lack of playing time and the fact that he came over to a new league in the midst of a pandemic, but he also hasn't had very good results as a big leaguer. It could be that an enterprising team feels Akiyama can still unlock something, and if such a team exists, the Reds would likely be on the phone with them ASAP once the lockout is over.
Would Conforto be an option in St. Louis? Especially on a 1-year "prove it deal". Also wonder if Josh Bell would be available in the trade market? Short term pop would make sense for a team like the Cardinals... wouldn't it?

Mark Polishuk
The DH makes Bell a possible fit, except then you'd be locking up the DH spot every game with either Bell or Goldschmidt. Conforto is the more interesting idea, as you can juggle playing time around the outfield.
Food for thought: Betty White was alive for every Yankee championship.

Mark Polishuk
That might be my favorite Betty White trivia item yet of the last 24 hours. RIP to that legend, I've enjoyed watching her on TV for my entire life.
That week or so period before the previous CBA was exciting with all the player movements. Any chance MLB noticed and puts in an offseason deadline for trades and signings?

Mark Polishuk
I think the players push back against a set deadline, since it creates the possibility for teams leveraging "take it or leave it" deals to squeeze guys out.

Some have speculated, however, that the league might some kind of mandatory shutdown of business from, say, December 23 to January 2. The holidays are usually pretty slow anyway, and it would give teams a chance to take a break.

Tags: