Jody Gerut's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Jody Gerut's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with former MLB player Jody Gerut that occurred on January 4. He is a former Indians, Cubs, Pirates, Padres, and Brewers outfielder. He's now a youth hitting coach and mortgage consultant who has given hitting lessons to the MLBTR founder's son, so he had an "in" to do a chat.

As I've said before, the insight into other issues is what I'm finding cool about these new chats. Read the bonus Q&As! And if you want, click on the link and read the entire chat.

Word on the street is that a current player will be chatting tomorrow, so stay tuned for that one.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/live-chat- ... 12156.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Jody, thanks for doing this. I have fond memories of your time in Milwaukee, did you enjoy your time on the crew as well?

Jody Gerut
I loved Milwaukee! Wished that I played better overall for the fans and the city. Our teammates there were a show of class and fun. Prince, Rickie, Couns, both Coreys. Amazing crew.
No pun intended.
I believe that fans undervalue the importance of team chemistry. Do you think it plays a big role in a successful team, or can an organization still be successful with lesser chemistry? Thanks for your time here today.

Jody Gerut
Good team chemistry is generally present on every winning team or within every winning franchise. BUT, it's super-tough to engineer it. We saw some amazing years here in Chicago with Joe Maddon and his (successful) effort to create a great team chemistry. My sons still tell each other 'try not to suck'. LOL! Not every bad team has bad chemistry, however. Team chemistry can make an average team resilient and focused during stretches of uncertainty or lethargy. Look at the Braves, man! Where were they in July? A lot of other teams may have just given up and started planning their winter vacations.
Pirates fan here. What did you think of the city and the organization when you were in Pittsburgh?

Jody Gerut
The city is amazing, and the people were amazing! Same thing as Milwaukee. Wished I played better for the team and for the city. Pittsburgh was a stretch of my career that represented the biggest opportunity that I squandered, partly impacted by playing through injury and not saying anything. Such a tough part of being a player, getting a balance between speaking up about injury and just gutting your way through it.
Hey Jody as a former Brewer what do you think of the name change from Miller Park to American Family Field? A lot of fans like myself are just going to keep calling it Miller Park!

Jody Gerut
It's Miller Park, and you drink Miller at Miller Park. That's all I have to say about that.
Hardest pitcher to hit off of in your career and why?

Jody Gerut
Damaso Marte, LHR with the White Sox. Never knew if my life was going to end by leaving 96 up and in, or if the slider was going to nip the corner. Terribly uncomfortable.
Hi Jody, how was it going playing in the minors with a couple hundred fans to then finally playing in the bigs with thousands upon thousands spectating?

Jody Gerut
It's not the number of fans that makes a difference, though that is a bit weird. It's the vision from the field with the second stadium deck that messes up a young player. Changes your depth perception. Ever see a young outfielder absolutely ZOOM a fly ball? It's the second level of seats to blame.
Hey Jody cheers from Guatemala! Toughest pitch to hit and off of whom, your favorite manager and favorite teammate and your stance on the lockout. Thanks for the chat and best of luck moving forward!!

Jody Gerut
Guatemala has the best empanadas in Central or South America, my regards to Argentina and Brazil.

Ok the lockout: we (players) should not be in the position that we're in today. Two agreements ago, players should have brought the negotiations closer to a strike. In the late 90's, players had too much power and too much of the revenue was going to them over owners. It had to go more toward owners. Now, it's the owners who have overtaken players in many different terms. And THEY"RE locking US out. Not good.

Final thought: players should stop tweeting their opinions about the lockout and about negotiations in general. No one wants to see a fragmented bunch of players and their opinions. Makes us look TERRIBLE. We don't all need to hear ALL of your opinions ALL of the time, players! Tell your wife or your dog. Shut up.
Who was your favorite manager?

Jody Gerut
Eric Wedge. I had him as a manager for 5 years. He was more of a shaper of men than a manager.
Bud Black was also amazing.
Do players get butterflies before games or is that pretty much an opening day/ first game in the majors kind of thing? It seems with the long schedule players would get used to it.

Jody Gerut
Trevor Hoffman told me in 2009 before opening day that even he had that nervous energy on opening day. I shared those butterflies. Every year without exception.
Do you think the Lockout is illegal because I think it is and the MLBPA should go to court and end it right now.

Jody Gerut
I think that the notion of the lockout at this stage of ownership reign ought to be illegal, in spirit. Look I get both sides of this argument. What I'd like to see is ownership stop attempts to undo Marvin Miller's life's work. What I'd like from players is to be bold and be grateful. What I'd like to see instead of a luxury cap is maybe a max salary per superstar to create better opportunities for all the teams. Yes I'm aware of how that would impact player salaries negatively but my gosh let's save the Texas Rangers from themselves. Wasn't anyone there when they made the $252m mistake with A-Rod? The Yankees don't need to sign a shortstop, they need to wait for the squealing-in-pain moment from the Lone Star State. Again.
Congrats on a great career! What's your favorite baseball book?

Jody Gerut
The Mental Game of Baseball is the best baseball book on the planet. The next best is Marvin Miller's book.
Your opinion on whether PED guys should get voted into the Hall of Fame? Surely you have a unique perspective as a player.

Jody Gerut
Tough one. I wish that it wasn't a question. I remember in 2000 when I was in the minors, we had a drug test and the 40 man guys could (legally) decline to take the test. 'Nah I'm good, don't feel like peeing in a cup today.' That was allowed. I also remember really good players having to go overseas to play because they couldn't keep up with the massive HR totals of other guys. PED guys, that is PED guys who were caught or tested positive, should not be in the Hall of Fame. I don't want to watch their speeches. And I don't want to hear how you're sorry. You're not sorry. If you were sorry, you'd go find the guy whose spot you took, and you'd stroke him a check for half of your career earnings. That's what being sorry looks like.
Hi Jody! Curious what adjustments you made to your hitting approach when you knew you were facing a really good pitcher? Thanks!

Jody Gerut
Adjustments are everything. EVERYTHING. It's what I teach as a hitting instructor now. MAPP Hitting. Mechanics, Approach, Power, Performance. You can take an average hitter with average skills and create a great hitter if they have an informed approach at the plate. I could go on for hours on the topic. Best thing that I did in my career, after 2002 I went into the office and asked what would it take to get to the bigs. I had 10HR that year. They said just stay at it. I said OK I'm going to come back next year with a different approach, and if you guys agree with me, don't say anything and I'll walk out. They said nothing. I walked and revamped my approach. In 2003, I hit a combined 27HR.

Tags: