Paul Sewald's NL Central comment

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Perennial All-Star

Paul Sewald's NL Central comment

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with current MLB player Paul Sewald that occurred on January 5. He is a current Mariner and former Mets reliever. If you'd like, you can follow him on Twitter at @ItsPaulSewald.

Not as much content, given he's never played in the NL Central. As I've said repeatedly, the insight into other issues is what I'm finding cool about these player chats. Read the bonus Q&As! And if you want, click on the link and read the entire chat to find out his thoughts on food, golf, Manfred and Vegas.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/live-chat- ... 12167.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Paul, as fans of the game, we tend to cling to traditional "rivalries" (Red Sox vs. Yankees, Giants vs. Dodgers, and for me, my Cubbies vs. Cardinals). On the player's side, what does that look like? Are most guys friends across the lines, or is there a little bit of competitive rivalry that you guys hold onto?

Paul Sewald
I can't speak for any of those teams/rivalries since I haven't been a part of any of those. I definitely felt a different energy in the stadium during the Subway Series, but that's an appreciation to the fans who create that buzz for us.
Do you believe it is important to relievers to have a defined role rather than being used in a more random manner? Do you think it is true that certain relievers are better equipped to handle closing?

Paul Sewald
I do believe its important for relievers to have a specific defined role to perform their best. That's not necessarily set up closer long man etc but a well communicated role as to who you are matched up against in a series is vital.
First it’s an honor! Secondly, how do you feel about modern pitching metrics that don’t like certain guys because of low spin?

Paul Sewald
That's not true unfortunately. Modern pitching metrics like any pitches that are unusual in shape and velocity. The evolution of launch angle swinging has deterred pitchers from throwing down in the zone as an adjustment to that.
How different are the mounds from stadium to stadium? Are they pretty consistent? Have a favorite?

Paul Sewald
Luckily, the grounds crews in the big leagues are pretty darn good and every mound is pretty similar to the next. For me, it's T-Mobile Park though without a question.
Thanks for doing this Paul. When facing batters in games, how much of what you're throwing is based on the scouting report vs gut feel? Do you ever disagree with the catcher on what to toss in next?

Paul Sewald
Scouting reports are essential when it comes to gameplanning. I need to know where I can miss and not get hit and where to attack with 2 strikes, and a lot of other factors. Our catchers are great and we are usually on the same page, but plenty of shaking off, because at the end of the day its my responsibility to feel confident and throw the pitch I want to.
As a fan, we want baseball out of the lockout... But players need to be heard. What one thing are u most wanting for players?

Paul Sewald
The thing we want most out of the lockout is competitiveness across the league. We want all 30 teams to want to win. The teams owe that to the fans if nothing else.
If you could face one batter (current or former player), who would you choose?

Paul Sewald
Babe Ruth would be a pretty fun matchup I've played in my head.
Last edited by mikechamp on March 29 22, 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tags:

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Re: Paul Sewald's NL Central comment

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Babe Ruth would think Paul Sewald was a sorcerer if he faced him.