Anthony Franco's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Anthony Franco's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Anthony Franco that occurred on January 19. (You can find him on Twitter at @affranco10 if you really want to ask him something.)

A couple interesting questions, but no bonus Q&As this time.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-chat ... 12256.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Where does Nolan Gorman fit into the Cardinals lineup and position for 2022? Does he stay at 2B and move Edman?

Anthony Franco
I think he spends most of his time next year at DH. Evaluators don't seem to love him at second base.

Not out of the question he plays there on occasion, but I'd be surprised if he takes the job from Edman, who's an OK hitter and Gold Glove caliber defender there.
Do you see the Halos as possibly being in the mix for Correa?

Anthony Franco
Doubt they want to make that kind of commitment with a few big long-term deals already on the books and a desire to extend Ohtani within the next two years.
Story might be a better fit if they're going for a star, but it seems like they might look for an Ahmed or Paul DeJong type of stopgap instead.
Lauer for McNeil or J.D.?

Anthony Franco
Don't think the Mets would do this, at least not for McNeil.

Davis is more plausible, but Milwaukee might need to toss in a more minor secondary piece.
Kevin Newman possibly a fit for the Phillies?

Anthony Franco
Eh, I'd probably just run it back with Gregorius or Stott at that point.

I don't think Newman's a good fit for any contender that needs a shortstop. He was the worst hitter among everyday players last year by a pretty substantial margin. He's a utility guy on a contender IMO.
What kind of odds do you give the Brewers to win the NL pennant? And why?

Anthony Franco
Somewhere in the 10-15% range? Dodgers feel like the favorites in the NL to me, but Milwaukee might have the second-best odds.

Obviously that's subject to change based on the rest of the offseason.
RF for the Reds? Is Pederson a good fit for GABP?

Anthony Franco
Sure, I think that's a decent fit. Joc's probably a one-year deal guy. Not coming off a great season but he'll be affordable and I'd rather have him than Aquino or Akiyama out there on most days.
What are the likeliest landing spots for Kenley Jansen, in your opinion?

Anthony Franco
Royals went into the offseason seeking bullpen help and haven't done anything yet. Blue Jays could use some certainty in the late innings, Cardinals too perhaps.

Wouldn't rule out the Dodgers either, given the longstanding ties there.
Reds trade Luis Castillo and Winker to Mariners for…

Anthony Franco
I'd be shocked if the Reds traded Winker this offseason.
How convinced are you that the youngsters collected in the Pirates farm system can turn the major league club around? Are any of the kids likely to help this year?? How long is a turn-around likely to take???

Anthony Franco
I'm confident they'll have the core of a potential contender within two or three years. Whether they'll be allowed to supplement that group enough from the outside remains to be seen.

Tags: