All Hail the GDT Master

Tony Gwynn

Post by CardsofSTL »

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Re: Tony Gwynn

Post by Popeye_Card »

Good story.

Not completely true though. San Diego played at St. Louis just *before* heading to Montreal. Gwynn needed 2 hits to reach 3000, with McGwire needing 1 HR to reach 500. McGwire got his. Gwynn went 1 for 4. Great game.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

So Gwynn wishes he'd got it in STL before the Montreal trip. Still a good story.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Tony Gwynn was just the best. Great person, great player, infectious smile. I can't believe he was taken from us at only 54 years old. [expletive] cancer, always.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

obviously a great hitter and player, his numbers are fun to look at, just a completely different hitting profile/style than typical...other than rookie year always more walks than strikeouts
https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... to01.shtml

oddly, i always enjoyed his voice/speech cadence

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Gwynn was one of my favorite non-Cardinals back when he played. I was at his last game at Busch just accidentally; I hadn't planned to go to the game but went last minute when a friend had tickets they couldn't use. He's a voice that baseball has missed.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Popeye_Card wrote:
January 20 22, 9:52 pm
Good story.

Not completely true though. San Diego played at St. Louis just *before* heading to Montreal. Gwynn needed 2 hits to reach 3000, with McGwire needing 1 HR to reach 500. McGwire got his. Gwynn went 1 for 4. Great game.
I'll confirm this (not that it needed it) with an anecdote:

I was working at Busch that summer, and we were all rooting for him to reach that milestone in STL. Most of my co-workers' reasoning was that they could make the commissions on the sale of his 3000th hit merch, which we had in sealed boxes just in case. I was rooting for him to do it in STL so that it would be better appreciated than in MTL.

Such as easy swing. He also used a small, light bat, which was the exact opposite of what Hank Aaron preferred. Two different approaches, two very exceptional players.