Youth Baseball Pitching

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Re: Youth Baseball Pitching

Post by mikechamp »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
June 3 22, 11:13 pm
Sometimes I find myself just pure ocd over little league games like right now. Can’t sleep can’t get it out of my head.
Like LaRussa says, I've found the losses stay with you far longer than the wins.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

We played a team twice during the regular season; tied them both times both games going 6 innings. Not sure how often that happens in 9-10 yo games but can't be very often.

Then played them again in the playoffs, were tied after 6 innings and lost by a run in the bottom of the 7th. Tie game bot 7, Man on 3rd, one out, short pop fly to CF and a good catch and slightly offline throw, good catch by the catcher who ran to the plate and was just beat there by the runner...maybe.

Brutal. We were ahead in the bottom of the 5th by 2 with like 5 minutes left on the game clock. Looked like it would be the last inning. Couple quick outs and there is 58 seconds left, 2 out, no one on. Lots of talk about delaying and stuff like that, but I hate that kind of shenanigan, plus we had illegally put a kid at catcher after he threw 50 pitches (little AW, lol) which I didn't know was a rule, so just let them play. To their credit, they could have had the kid step on the plate and swing at a pitch ending the inning but let him take a regular at bat. Which ended with a line drive up the middle and the SS making a diving catch...with 6 seconds left on the game clock, so the game continues. Just brutal.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Had a win tonight that will stick with me for a while.

Championship game of a tournament. We lost to the team we were playing 5-4 on a walk off hit Saturday/last night. Team was a bunch of ass [expletive] holes. Coaches, fans, whatever saying [expletive] to the umps, our players, whatever. They had 3 fans kicked out today during the game.

In the past they’ve been better than us. One of those teams that will drop players, search for the best players, etc. Hyper competitive. Also redneck.

We’ve stuck with our group since we were 7-8 year olds. I’m by far the biggest ass to the umps but have calmed that down considerably since talking to joe on here.

Regardless, we face these guys again in the championship and it was a close game throughout. We had to play two games Sunday to get to the championship game while they only had to play one. But we managed to save our two best pitchers but our 3-4 were done.

Our SP/ace did terrible. Only gave up 2 runs in 1.1 innings but left the bases full in the 2nd. Next pitcher gets 2 outs in 3 pitches no runs. And it’s a ball game. Down 2-1 going to 3rd. And from there it was just an absolute clinic of how to prevent runs while scoring 3 in the top of the last inning.

Lots of unlikely heroes but a ton of great plays.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
August 28 22, 9:54 pm

Championship game of a tournament. We lost to the team we were playing 5-4 on a walk off hit Saturday/last night. Team was a bunch of ass [expletive] holes. Coaches, fans, whatever saying [expletive] to the umps, our players, whatever. They had 3 fans kicked out today during the game.

In the past they’ve been better than us. One of those teams that will drop players, search for the best players, etc. Hyper competitive. Also redneck.

We’ve stuck with our group since we were 7-8 year olds. I’m by far the biggest ass to the umps but have calmed that down considerably since talking to joe on here.

Regardless, we face these guys again in the championship and it was a close game throughout. We had to play two games Sunday to get to the championship game while they only had to play one. But we managed to save our two best pitchers but our 3-4 were done.

Our SP/ace did terrible. Only gave up 2 runs in 1.1 innings but left the bases full in the 2nd. Next pitcher gets 2 outs in 3 pitches no runs. And it’s a ball game. Down 2-1 going to 3rd. And from there it was just an absolute clinic of how to prevent runs while scoring 3 in the top of the last inning.

Awesome to hear AW! It's got to feel good that you are not only winning but winning the right way. Congrats!

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
August 28 22, 10:09 pm
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
August 28 22, 9:54 pm

Awesome to hear AW! It's got to feel good that you are not only winning but winning the right way. Congrats!
Thanks, joe. It does feel good especially in a business with more heartbreak than success, these moments are nice.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

BRagging time.

One game before the championship, we had to face a team we also hadn’t beaten before though it’s been 2+ years since we played them.

But they were similarly ass holish in the past and have become increasingly more. Probably why all their good players have left them.

Regardless, they still have some really good kids. So it was a question of how do we approach pitching. Assumption is they went 2-0 yesterday without growing their best pitcher.

And it’s no good losing an elimination game knowing you didn’t throw your best pitcher early in the game to keep it close.

Decided to throw little AW who is probably #4 maybe 3. Maybe 2 maybe 7 maybe 9. It all changes day to day. Regardless, just decided we’d go with him as long as possible and the game was close.

Top we score 3. They lit little AW up but our defense played great and they only scored 2. Next inning we score 0. So I was talking to little aw and I was like dude. Bottom of the lineup. You’ve got to use your breaking ball. Just get comfortable with it. Which he did.

I’d told the ump prior to the game what the call for it was just so he’d be aware that, eh, he may get smoked in the face. But that didn’t happen. Dude struck out two guys on it and sailed through the next inning/top of the lineup only throwing one offspeed pitch. Crazy how that works.

We scored 6 in the 3rd and 6 in the 4th so game was all but over by the time bottom 4 came along at 14-2 and we let whoever wanted to pitch at that point. Small things makes such a big difference. Crazy.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

The sad part is, the pitcher they used today for ~80 pitches they also used yesterday for 3 innings.

[expletive] child abuse.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

All that said. Back on point of youth pitching.

We have 10 kids on the team.

Total pitches over two days range from
66 at the high to 15 at the low.

428 pitches thrown over 5 games.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Had another tournament this weekend.

Max pitches thrown by any player on our team was 53 total for the weekend.

Played another team that had a kid throw 114 pitches against us. He was good, but unsurprisingly not good past 70ish pitches. Was 5-4 after 3.5 in our favor and we were the home team. We scored 7 in the bottom half to win by run rule. All while this kid, fatigued as could be, kept chucking up ball after ball. Letting our kids sit dead red on meatballs.

And that kid pitched a couple innings yesterday. Ducking morons.

In the championship game the umps gave us the opportunity to play 2 hours instead of 90 minutes. The other coach wanted to do it. I was pretty confident we were deeper and had a fully rested top 3 pitchers. So it made sense in that regards. But also felt like we were better with our top 2 than they were. And knew they’d throw their top 2 only. So just said let’s play 90. Got a lot of pushback from their coach and I was just like…these are the rules we agreed to coming in. So the umps gave us 90 minutes.

And we smoked them. Just red hot hitting like you dream of as a coach.
Last edited by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 on September 18 22, 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

This may go in the umps thread. But there was a play. Score was 7-3 our way. 2 outs bases loaded. Our hitter rolls over one between ss and 3b.

Baserunners take off and the ss makes a pretty nifty backhanded play but only has a play at 1st. Makes an off balance throw that the 1b man traps.

Im coaching 3b and can see the ball is likely on the ground. But 1b man is acting like he has it. Ump has a bit different vantage point but not by much.

I tell ump the ball is on the ground. He does nothing.

So I send the runner- who has a good chunk of the distance to home already covered because he was correctly just running -to home.

1b picks up his glove to get the ball and the ball stays on the ground. Ump signals safe at 1b. 1b man picks up ball and throws home too late. Runner from 2b comes to 3b. Runner from 1b goes to 2b.

Just a beautiful play.

Other coaches and fans and players were irate. Within 5 seconds of end of play, the field ump is calmly telling the coach ti come here.

I was like…me? He goes no that guy. Ump walks over to meet their coach, and there was 100% going to be a coach initiated meeting regardless, and he goes hey. I was trying to see if he controlled the ball. He didn’t and that’s my judgement. Handles it as classy and calmly as possible.

He was right. And he was umping a 10 yo baseball game. So when he got a lot of yelling as a response, he kicked the guy out.

Awesome.

I love playing the team we were playing becaise they’re good. Competitive. And have a lot of fire. Which is fun to play against. But they’re ass holes. So it’s also fun to kick their ass.

Last year we lost to them when we had two key players hurt and their players were calling us a trash team. Good to beat them 3 times so far this year. 😎