Youth Baseball Pitching

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Re: Youth Baseball Pitching

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

good to see you enjoying yourself AW. Sounds like you are an awesome coach.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Had a one day tournament this weekend through 2d instead of usssa which does a pretty good job with pitchers, unlike usssa. Kind of a modified approach of pitch smart and common sense.

75 max two day total pitch count. 35 max one day to pitch the next.

Regardless, we pitched most our kids and with only 3 games didn’t have any issues.

We did have an issue with our pitchers throwing strikes at the end though. We’re up 7-1 going bottom of the last inning (we were guest) in the championship game. Starter hits 55 pitches after getting 1 out, so we went ahead and pulled him.

We still have our 3 best pitchers available. One of them doesn’t do well with relieving so maybe only 2.

Regardless, our two best pitchers manage to come in and throw, between the two of them, 30 pitches about 11 for strikes. Manage to get to a situation of 1st and 2nd, still one out, and the score is 7-6.

So I brought in little aw who threw 11 pitches to get through 1.2 innings the game previously. Doesn’t throw fast but a least throws strikes. And he strikes a kid out. So now it’s 1st and 2nd up a run 2 outs. And this happens.

https://youtu.be/T_GK-_Oc018

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

I’ve watched this video no less than 100 times.

So proud of the catcher in position. Left foot at the top of the plate. Sliding over once he catches it. Showing the ump the ball.

Left fielder knowing where to go and throwing a strike.

Little aw backing up home by jumping up and down in front of the plate. Bold strategy for backing up home.

The ump with one of the best put out calls I’ve seen.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

This team we were playing is a new team. A combo of two AAA teams (about our level where we would be middle of the pack) and a major team (only about 4 in the state of Arkansas).

End of the season type deal where some kids just get together after the usssa season is over.

To be up on them 7-1 in the first place was a huge undertaking, for us at least.

They had 2 different pitchers throwing 60 mph. From 46’, that’s the equivalent of a what 80 mph fastball at 60’. Doesn’t sound like a lot, but they’re 9. So it’s a bit different.

Had some kids absolutely poke shots to the fence. Little AW was so late on one he got a triple on a line drive that hit the chalk halfway to the fence. Freaking explosion of white dust in the outfield.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Little aw went to a baseball camp today.

One of the instructors there was grant black who pitches for Memphis. Looks like a damn pitcher.

Another guy was Demarcus evans. Pitcher for I assume the Yankees or maybe a milb affiliate.

They do a scrimmage at the end of the day with a pitching machine pitching. Kids play 4-5 innings. Then the coaches get involved. Not hitting hard at first. But one of the u of a guys hits one about 175’ and it goes over the 150’ fence.

Evans comes up next inning with the bases loaded. Black goes don’t do it. Evans goes oh I won’t hit it that hard. Check swings one 380’ over the railroad tracks. Absolutely amazing.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Well had our first tournament this weekend. We’re in a weird spot where half the kids are still in basketball mode and missing a lot of practices. So arms aren’t built up more than 30 pitches or so.

Others have been baseball mode all offseason and built up to 80 pitches.

And everything in between.

We got bumped up to AAA in the off-season and we’re like a lower class AAA team and upper class AA team.

It was an open tourney so 3 major teams and 3 AAA teams signed up. Went 1-1 yesterday. Had our ace going today. Who is one of the in between guys. He throws harder than anyone in the tournament. 59-60 mph at 10 yo.

35 pitches in he gets hurt. Swollen elbow. Not an acute thing like something happened. But sheesh.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Feel terrible for the kid.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

I’m just put out this disclaimer. Idk what I’m talking about scientifically. But to me it seems like velocity chasers are going to get hurt.

We treated this kid that got hurt with all the rules mlb published rules plus more conservative ones we have.

I know he had pitching lessons and what not in the offseason. We get him ready and boom. If he didn’t tear his ucl he really [expletive] his elbow up.

Conversely we have kids pitching that don’t get lessons. Don’t velo chase and just throw. Feel like they could throw all day.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
March 6 23, 12:00 am
I’m just put out this disclaimer. Idk what I’m talking about scientifically. But to me it seems like velocity chasers are going to get hurt.
I concur. I know Driveline has done their study to show it doesn't matter, but I think back to a guy like Greg Maddux. Wasn't going to blaze it past you, but was going to answer the bell every 5th day and spot it exactly where he wanted it, velocity be damned. Yes, there are freaks of nature like Randy Johnson, but I also feel like for every Randy Johnson, there are 18,000 Rob Dibbles.

Also, I would be incredibly troubled if a ten year-old had to have Tommy John surgery. Something is drastically wrong there, and depending on the feedback from sports-related surgeons/physicians, it might be a situation where he no longer plays baseball.

Unless he doesn't care about combing or shampooing his hair anymore. Then keep on chucking, baby!!!!

nana

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

mikechamp wrote:
March 6 23, 10:48 am
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
March 6 23, 12:00 am
I concur. I know Driveline has done their study to show it doesn't matter, but I think back to a guy like Greg Maddux. Wasn't going to blaze it past you, but was going to answer the bell every 5th day and spot it exactly where he wanted it, velocity be damned. Yes, there are freaks of nature like Randy Johnson, but I also feel like for every Randy Johnson, there are 18,000 Rob Dibbles.

Also, I would be incredibly troubled if a ten year-old had to have Tommy John surgery. Something is drastically wrong there, and depending on the feedback from sports-related surgeons/physicians, it might be a situation where he no longer plays baseball.

Unless he doesn't care about combing or shampooing his hair anymore. Then keep on chucking, baby!!!!

nana
Maddux/Suppan are the two I always think of.

Velo is so hyped these days. Seems like everywhere you look, everybody is talking about it. It's the new big dick contest. I can throw X mph! Cool. But, can you throw strikes?