Jonny Gomes' NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Jonny Gomes' NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with former MLB outfielder Jonny Gomes that occurred on March 8. He played for the Rays, Reds, Nationals, Athletics, Red Sox, Braves, and Royals, as well as in Japan. He now works for a baseball-oriented company that has an optical tracking system.

He went for 2 hours!! And his answers were pretty concise, so he covered a ton of ground. Read the bonus Q&As! As always, click on the link to read the entire chat.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/live-chat- ... 12567.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for the passion and energy you brought to the Reds!!

Jonny Gomes
It was an absolute pleasure playing for the oldest franchise in baseball. Pretty magical year we had in 2010 be able to hang a pennant in the outfield.
Hey Jonny, loved watching you when you were with the Reds. Where does Bruce’s division clinching homer in 2010 rank on your favorite moments to be a part of?

Jonny Gomes
I don’t like to compare big moments. Big moments are rare. Big moments are hard to come by. Big moments are history. Jay Bruce's home run was amazing to watch and it couldn’t of happened to a better dude.
What are the two records that will never be broken in baseball?

Jonny Gomes
The first record that will not be broke is probably most catwalk hits at Tropicana Field: 13. Ha ha that’s mine. Second would probably be any of the 15+ records Pete Rose holds.
Reds legend! You think Reds can make a WS run under Castellini ownership?

Jonny Gomes
I 100 percent think they can make a run. The Cincinnati Bengals just lit that fire again in that area. I’m a huge huge Joey Votto fan with Joey they 100% can make a run.
Just wanted to say thanks for 2013. What a magical ride. Best team you were ever on?

Jonny Gomes
I was on a lot of really good teams winning the World Series doesn’t necessarily mean you are the best team it means you got hot at the right time. 2008 run with Tampa make it to the World Series with the $42 million-ish payroll seems impossible but we did it. 2012 Oakland A’s we are in first place for four innings of 162 game season, And of course 2010 Cincinnati I think we hit around .280 as a team. I was lucky. Lotta good baseball.
What were you thinking moments before the STL home run in the WS?

Jonny Gomes
Truly never pictured myself in the Homerun. I just wanted the opportunity. Once I got the opportunity I knew I’ve done all my homework was ready for the at-bat. I just had to press play let it work itself out. A Pull homer on two two count. Changed my life and helped pave the way to the parade.
What was your favorite Cincinnati restaurant to eat at, from your time with the Reds?

Jonny Gomes
Jeff Rubys and Montgomery Inn
What was it like playing with Scott Rolen? Was he the leader of that clubhouse when you were with the Reds? He always seemed like such a coach-like player.

Jonny Gomes
Scott Rolen is one of the guys that TV did him no justice. Dude was a monster in person. This guy was the definition of a ball player. He taught me so much by just watching him, his pregame work ethic was second to none. Also taught me a lot with talks on the bench.
Most underrated MLB city?

Jonny Gomes
With the Rockies and Tampa being the last two teams join MLB, we are now in 2022 each team has a lot of history. I’d say some teams in the Midwest get lost in the hype. When you think of a super loud stadium, probably don’t think of Milwaukee but I’ve been there and it rocks.
What hitter have you learned the most from? What pitcher would you most want to face?

Jonny Gomes
I was fortunate enough to play with a lot of superstars; guys like Evan Longoria, Joey Votto, Jayson Werth, Ryan Zimmerman, Josh Donaldson, Dustin Pedroia, Mike Napoli, Eric Hosmer, Mike Moustakas to name a few. Easy to learn from that group.
What was it like playing with Joey Votto?

Jonny Gomes
Play with Joey was amazing. It was unreal to watch him in that 2010 season when he almost won the triple crown of the league. He’s an Unreal talent. He’s building a Hall of Fame résumé for sure.
Johnny Gnomes bobblehead giveaway in Cincinnati: great promotion or greatest promotion?

Jonny Gomes
Let’s do it again.
Who’s the strongest player you’ve ever been around, just pure strength wise?

Jonny Gomes
Matt Holliday was a beast.
Jonny, There is lots of talk about the pace of the game and changes that need to be made. Sounds like some will happen in 2023 (pitch clock, limiting shifts). What would you do to bring more action back to the game and make it more exciting again?

Jonny Gomes
I think the game is just fine as is without the Pitch clock without banning the shift. We have some of the most exciting pitchers and offensive players the game has ever seen right now. No reason to change anything in my opinion.
What do you think is the biggest difference in MLB from when you made your debut, to today?

Jonny Gomes
The biggest difference that stands out is the average velocity of the fastball. On the team aspect of things the biggest difference is how lineups change nightly, players can bat fourth and then not play for a few days, A player can hit first one day and ninth the next day.
Do you think too many teams in the playoffs waters it down too much?

Jonny Gomes
I don’t think it waters it down.162 games is just an appetizer for the next potential 12 wins to get a World Series. Majority of baseball history is built from postseason success and failure.
What is your thoughts on some of the rule changes in place or proposed such as automatic free pass and proposed eliminating the shift. Also do you think the game is too slow? I like it like it is.

Jonny Gomes
I worked my whole childhood and amateur playing days life to get to the big leagues. Once I was playing in the big leagues, I was in no rush to finish a game. Every big league game is like a heavyweight bout. Heavyweight bouts have more rounds than normal bouts in boxing.
What do you think of all the new analytics in baseball today? Did you use data and numbers to prepare to hit big league pitching?

Jonny Gomes
Data is probably the most performance enhancing tool you can have at your fingertips, and when used right it’s your best coach. Data and numbers don’t lie with that being said they can be used in the wrong way. I would recommend checking out BaseballCloud.com, my favorite platform by far.
Why don't more hitters take advantage of the shift?

Jonny Gomes
I don’t know, it’s the only thing in today’s game that I didn’t have to deal with. Late in my career the second baseman creeped over behind second not every team. I was team first and I knew if I get a single I could read a ball in the dirt or steal second that puts me in scoring position. I could honestly say I would lay down bunts if no one was on the left or right side.
If you could know one piece of information about a pitcher before facing him, what would it be?

Jonny Gomes
I always wanted to know how many pitches he had, the velocity of those pitches, what pitches he threw in big counts. Those counts to me were 0-1 and 3-2. I also wanted to know which was always a big difference what he threw with runners in scoring position. This goes back to doing your homework which is the data collected in previous outings of that pitcher. I would also look to see if I could find certain patterns he would fall into.
Defensive shifts: Good or bad for the game?

Jonny Gomes
Defensive shifts are good for the game; if they didn’t work, teams wouldn’t do it. Every team does it means it works. Imagine in football if the ball is on the 1 yard line and you couldn’t bring in your goal line Defense because you had to have your dB’s flared out 2 safeties, three linebackers 5 yards off the ball.
What do you think about advertising on jerseys? I don’t really like the idea.

Jonny Gomes
I think they should put advertisement on the bases. If needed.
How much of a difference do the batter’s eyes in each stadium make? Any places you loved/hated?

Jonny Gomes
It makes a huge difference playing in Anaheim on a day game with Jared Weaver throwing 3/4 out of the water fountains in center was an absolute nightmare.

Tags: