Hall Of Famer

Re: Jack Flaherty underwent evaluation for his right shoulder

Post by Magneto2.0 »

I read he's had this tear for 5 years?

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Yeah but now he doesn't have Bob Gibson to talk him through it.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Jack Flaherty told reporters that a video study showed a change in mechanics that may have been the cause for his recent shoulder bursitis.

Flaherty went into detail explaining that the change in mechanics occurred after his oblique strain in an attempt to compensate for the injury. This is great news that the possible cause was identified so the right-hander can work to fine-tune his mechanics and avoid further injury. Flaherty also stated that his SLAP tear was a preexisting condition that he has known about for "a handful of years" and is unrelated to his current inflammation. The 26-year-old was recently shut down for two weeks following a PRP injection.
Source: Jeff Jones on Twitter
Mar 20, 2022, 9:00 AM ET

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

I will remain caustically optimistic.

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

Most pitchers will have some things on an MRI, but most aren’t having a SLAP tear.

I get the mechanics thing, but Flaherty has had a lot of issues already. Not sure I’m buying the rest and move his arm slot and everything will be ok. Maybe if it was an elbow.

Superorganism
Veteran Player

Post by Superorganism »

Yeah, this spells trouble and perhaps why the team won’t commit long term on a fat deal

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

SLAP tears vary wildly if I remember correctly and can be pretty minor to debilitating.

Repetitive overhand motion is one of the main causes which obviously puts all pitchers at an increased risk. The fact that Flaherty has one, and has had one for some time, is a concern.

Tough to know exactly the situation, this is obviously pure speculation.

He could have a small tear and it's been the same tear for 5 years and his mechanics along with conditioning/physical therapy prevent further tearing and all is good. In theory, you're just trying to protect the soft tissue which can be done with mechanics/conditioning. In theory.

Or he could have a tear, his labrum continues to erode with every throw, and the only logical conclusion is surgery at some point in the future.

It's been a while, but iirc surgeries for this don't have a high success rate of returning to previous performance levels.

ETA: Like I said in a previous post, I had a slap tear that had progressed to the point it needed surgery. I couldn't lift my hand over my shoulder without pain. Couldn't sleep. It was pretty bad. There's a thread on this board about it somewhere. But, I got a PRP injection about 10 years ago and can barely tell I ever had an issue in the shoulder. At the same time, I also mostly quit playing racquetball which 99% sure was the issue causing the tear. No telling what would have happened if I had kept playing.

Found the thread. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=48291&hilit=shoulder&start=50

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

I just hope that whatever his situation is that they don't just have him sit around for 2 months expecting it to miraculously heal itself and end up getting surgery anyways. So you end up just wasting 2 months of his recovery time.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »