Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Re: 2022 Minor League Season

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
May 24 22, 9:56 am
Graceffo promoted to Springfield.

0.99 ERA and 56K through 45.2 IP in Peoria. Excited to see him.
Great to see.

He will be flying up the prospect ranks.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

McGreevy and Masyn Winn also got called up to Springfield

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
May 24 22, 10:07 am
Cardinals promoted RHP prospect Michael McGreevy to Double-A Springfield.

McGreevy, the 18th overall pick in the 2021 MLB Draft out of UC Santa Barbara has compiled a stellar 2.58 ERA, 0.99 WHIP and 41/4 K/BB ratio across 45 1/3 innings (eight starts) this season at High-A Peoria. The 21-year-old righty is already moving quickly through the rungs of the Cardinals' minor-league system and could make his debut at some point next year.
May 24, 2022, 11:59 AM ET

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
May 24 22, 10:07 am
Hell yeah

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Winn has been en fuego at high A. Hitting .349, .970 OPS, 15 steals in 33 games.

btw, is it just me, or is our system having a higher success rate right now, and producing higher tier talent, than it has in the past?

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

heyzeus wrote:
May 24 22, 11:55 am
Winn has been en fuego at high A. Hitting .349, .970 OPS, 15 steals in 33 games.

btw, is it just me, or is our system having a higher success rate right now, and producing higher tier talent, than it has in the past?
Seems that way to me too.

Winn seems to be legging out doubles and triples for his slugging and not getting it with homers. Lots of speed in that man. Wonder how it translates in the higher levels. I hope he's legit and not just a middle infield Sierra. (Also a 45 player on Fangraphs). Sucks that Winn had to give up pitching but seems like two-way players are going to just be insanely rare.

I really wanted Tre Fletcher to make the next step. Can't believe he's 21 already. I'm excited about some of the really young guys like Baez though.

BP seems to be praising Flores's drafting ability a lot these days too.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

Winn has 7 triples in 33 games this year

a little more info on those moves...
In his second season with Peoria, Winn batted .349 with 11 doubles, seven triples, and 15 RBIs in 33 games. Through the first two months of the 2022 season, Winn led Midwest League in triples and was second in average behind South Bend first baseman Matt Mervis who is batting .350.
McGreevy — the Cardinals first round pick in 2021 — and Graceffo formed a strong one-two combo atop Peoria’s pitching rotation.

In the first month of the season, McGreevy posted a 0.76 ERA in 23 2/3 innings, and was named the Midwest Player of the Month.

Coming off a spring training where he was labeled the “sensation” of minor-league camp after flashing a fastball that touched triple digits, Graceffo leaves Peoria with a league-leading 0.99 ERA. Graceffo — the Cardinals fifth-round pick in the 2021 draft — threw 45 2/3 innings, had a 0.68 WHIP and compiled 56 strikeouts, all of which were good enough for second on the Midwest League pitching leaderboards.

The duo of McGreevy and Graceffo combined to walk a total of eighth batters, and were tied for the league lead with a 0.79 walks per nine innings.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Off day boredom and looking at Herrera.

Herrera's career OBP in the minors is .377. His CS% is the same as Rutschman's in the minors (31%). Fangraphs has his fielding at 45/55. At first glance, I am really into this. He's 22, Rutschman is 24.

Defensive runs created (Baseball Prospectus): 123 DRC+. So 23% above average at catcher. Seems good to me.

Something to note is that this year in AAA so far he had more WARP than Rutschman and Melendez. And a higher OBP than both this year.

Why is this guy not ranked higher? Or have 55+ FV? What am I missing?
Last edited by Big Amoco Sign on May 25 22, 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
May 25 22, 11:41 am
Off day boredom and looking at Herrera.

Herrera's career OBP in the minors is .377. His CS% is the same as Rutschman's in the minors (31%). Fangraphs has his fielding at 45/55. At first glance, I am really into this. He's 21, Rutschman is 24.

Defensive runs created (Baseball Prospectus): 123 DRC+. So 23% above average at catcher. Seems good to me.

Why is this guy not ranked higher? Or have 55+ FV? What am I missing?
Fangraphs had him as a 50 FV(only 33 players have a higher FV than that per their board) and put him in the Top 100, so I'm not sure anyone was really sleeping on him. But for the comparative reasons why, even setting aside scouting stuff since I'm not knowledgeable on the tools, Herrera's career OBP prior to this year was driven by some cartoonish rookie ball numbers, and he had a much more modest .231/.346/.408 more recently in a hitter's league at AA plus his only High-A exposure was 65 PA with a .315 wOBA. So the skeptic's case prior to this year would be that the bat isn't playing as above average for a MLB hitter as he climbed the MiLB ladder, but has shown enough and has the tools/pedigree to be above average for an MLB catcher. Compare to Rutschman, who in healthy samples really hit well in AA(.271/.392/.508) and AAA(.312/.405/.490) with a near 1:1 K/BB, on top of him being considered a plus defender from a scouting perspective.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
May 25 22, 11:55 am
Fangraphs had him as a 50 FV(only 33 players have a higer FV than that per their board) and put him in the Top 100, so I'm not sure anyone was really sleeping on him. But for the comparative reasons why, even setting aside scouting stuff since I'm not knowledgeable on the tools, Herrera's career OBP prior to this year was driven by some cartoonish rookie ball numbers, and he had a much more modest .231/.346/.408 more recently in a hitter's league at AA plus his only High-A exposure was 65 PA with a .315 wOBA. So the skeptic's case prior to this year would be that the bat isn't playing as above average for a MLB hitter as he climbed the MiLB ladder, but has shown enough and has the tools/pedigree to be above average for an MLB catcher. Compare to Rutschman, who in healthy samples really hit well in AA(.271/.392/.508) and AAA(.312/.405/.490) with a near 1:1 K/BB, on top of him being considered a plus defender from a scouting perspective.
Not disagreeing. But the bat came back for Herrera, he's .405 OBP this year. So maybe AA was the glitch? (I hope). He showed more power but I am guessing new ball + no more AAA in PCL high altitude cities that the whole league sees a power dip. (Unless your name is Gorman of course). And did I mentioned how old he is?! Rutschman had college and his minor league career at an older age.

I wonder if you can point to COVID season being a culprit to Ivan's slow start in AA.

He's also one of the youngest catchers in AAA (all leagues), only fellow top prospect and a 60 FV catcher in Gabe Moreno is at that age.