4/19 GDT: Cardinals(Wainwright) @ Marlins(Luzardo) 5:40 PM CT

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD

Re: 4/19 GDT: Cardinals(Wainwright) @ Marlins(Luzardo) 5:40 PM CT

Post by AdmiralKird »

Pujols' baserunning is something. He is the slowest player in the league at 22.4ft/s. The next slowest DH? Miguel Cabrera, who can outpace him by a foot and a half per second.

Tags:

Donnie Ebert
Perennial All-Star

Post by Donnie Ebert »

AdmiralKird wrote:
April 20 22, 12:07 am
Pujols' baserunning is something. He is the slowest player in the league at 22.4ft/s. The next slowest DH? Miguel Cabrera, who can outpace him by a foot and a half per second.
I think we need to wait until Statcast factors in the (new-to-me) Pujolsian arm churn as he runs. It's incredible.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

And again, What are we going to do when Waino retires? The FO is going to seriously have an issue on their hands if a storied franchise like this one doesnt have a veteran superstar at the top of its rotation. Up and comers? Sure, if Jack stays healthy and stays here, we might have one in the making. But he's young and careers dont seem to be lasting as long in the era of the ultra-fastball. Scherzer was the guy to get, to beat that dead horse..

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

MinorLeagueGuy wrote:
April 20 22, 9:43 am
And again, What are we going to do when Waino retires? The FO is going to seriously have an issue on their hands if a storied franchise like this one doesnt have a veteran superstar at the top of its rotation. Up and comers? Sure, if Jack stays healthy and stays here, we might have one in the making. But he's young and careers dont seem to be lasting as long in the era of the ultra-fastball. Scherzer was the guy to get, to beat that dead horse..
Can't believe how much smarter we all are than Mo. Scherzer was right there for the taking and Mo didn't get it done! Unreal.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

MinorLeagueGuy wrote:
Given Waino's recent comments and his continued success, I really doubt he retires with Yadi and AP at the end of this season. All things depend on health, but he somehow seems to have found another gear in his command and control that works given his current physical capabilities.

But your point is taken; he's going to retire some day. We were hoping that Flaherty and Liberatore would take up the torch as the 1-2 starter guys, and that's not impossible still, but it's looking less likely today than it did a year ago. We have some exciting position players in the pipeline (Gorman, Walker, Yepez, Herrera, Wynn) but i don't think any top line pitching prospects.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

dmarx114 wrote:
April 20 22, 9:51 am
MinorLeagueGuy wrote:
Can't believe how much smarter we all are than Mo. Scherzer was right there for the taking and Mo didn't get it done! Unreal.
Him and DeWitt have gone on to say they missed there. Not sure why you're being a dik.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Donnie Ebert wrote:
April 20 22, 9:29 am
AdmiralKird wrote:
I think we need to wait until Statcast factors in the (new-to-me) Pujolsian arm churn as he runs. It's incredible.
I'm genuinely surprised he wasn't lifted from the game. And partially surprised he didn't need an oxygen mask.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
April 20 22, 10:34 am
Donnie Ebert wrote:
April 20 22, 9:29 am
AdmiralKird wrote:
I'm genuinely surprised he wasn't lifted from the game. And partially surprised he didn't need an oxygen mask.
Or tear a hammy.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
April 20 22, 10:33 am
dmarx114 wrote:
April 20 22, 9:51 am
MinorLeagueGuy wrote:
Him and DeWitt have gone on to say they missed there. Not sure why you're being a dik.
Well that's not true. At least not when it comes to the 2022 version of the free agent.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

dmarx114 wrote:
April 20 22, 10:59 am
Well that's not true. At least not when it comes to the 2022 version of the free agent.
Okay, yeah they only voiced their Scherzer opinion for certain windows of FA periods and it had a statute of limitation lol. Was that clear in your response either?

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/owning- ... 66e08.html

Let me refresh your memory on that offseason, that was the big one where DeWitt himself proclaimed "we have money to spend" and the team still didn't even talk to Scherzer's agent. A bonafied stud who signed a reasonable contract and from St. Louis. And wanted to play here at a seemingly "discounted rate." Reportedly.