Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Mark Polishuk that occurred on April 24.

A fair amount of questions, given he didn't hold a chat last week. No Brewers love, but everyone else got attention. I included a bonus Q&A that is an inside joke to all forum users.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-live-chat-12953.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Where can the Angels find a productive SS?

Mark Polishuk
Kyle Farmer isn't off to a great start, but since the Reds might already be out of it, pretty much anyone on Cincy's roster seems open to a trade.
Is there any chance the Cardinals would release Yadier Molina?

Mark Polishuk
Nope.
Are you buying Suzuki, or will pitchers adjust?

Mark Polishuk
Some regression is inevitable, and we'll see how Suzuki can adjust to the adjustments. But, there was a reason he was so highly touted by multiple teams.
At this rate, Pirates are adding a starting pitcher or two at the deadline, no?

Mark Polishuk
I wonder what the Twins would want for Chris Archer?
(I'm sorry Pirates fans, that was a low blow.)
Better chance at returning to MVP level Cody Bellinger or Yelich?

Mark Polishuk
Bellinger has looked great so far, so he has the big lead in the "return to form" race.
If anyone on the Reds is available, what would it take to get Tyler Stephenson?

Mark Polishuk
Addendum: by "anyone," I mean pretty much any veteran making serious money. Stephenson has five years of team control, so he isn't being traded unless the Reds take the unlikely step of completely blowing up the roster.
Cards fan here but is David Bednar the best kept secret in baseball? Hope today was a precursor to him getting more save opportunities.

Mark Polishuk
I'd be stunned if teams hadn't been calling Pirates GM Ben Cherington on the reg about Bednar's availability.
Can I have a non-bias critique of the Pirates? What should be done next to improve?

Mark Polishuk
I don't think the Pirates are going to suddenly pivot and add veterans in a push to win. Even if they're still in contention at the deadline, they'd make only a modest upgrade or two since the big-picture view hasn't changed.

By all accounts, Pittsburgh has a sterling minor league system. Cruz will be up soon, to get another building block in place. Bucs fans can see some light at the end of the tunnel, but that tunnel is still going to run until probably 2024 at the earliest.
Cubs offense has had a huge switch from power/swing and miss to contact. What is your preference, what do you like to see?

Mark Polishuk
My preference is a solid contact approach, since as a fan, that's just more fun to watch than guys constantly swinging for the fences all game.
How long until we see Nolan Gorman? He's crushing the ball.

Mark Polishuk
He looks to me like another player that could use "a bit more minor league seasoning," but coincidentally he'll be ready just about around the time the Cards gain an extra year of control.
Will one of or both of Mahle/Castillo be traded in July and who might be interested/involved?

Mark Polishuk
Like I said earlier, every well-paid veteran will be on the block if the Reds keep struggling like this. With the amount of trade interest Castillo and Mahle both had, the Reds must already have a good idea of what teams are interested and who is willing to offer what for both pitchers.
Is the White Sox season done?

Mark Polishuk
The season isn't even three weeks old! For all of Chicago's problems, they are only 1.5 games out of first place.

Tags: