Mike Trout's speed, and other things

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Superorganism
Veteran Player

Mike Trout's speed, and other things

Post by Superorganism »

With an average sprint speed of 29.9 ft/s, Mike Trout is still a top 3 speedster. Tied for first with three other guys: Trea Turner, Bobby Witt, Matt Vierling. Not bad for a 30 year old. Yadi Molina? Last in MLB at 20.7 ft/s. There's a gulf between him and second to last.

Wainwright is 7th in MLB in active spin on his curveball (95.7). Active spin "When thrown with pure top or backspin, then 100% of the spin contributes to movement. You can also throw a pitch with some side-action so that some of the deflection will go up or down, and some will go side to side. All of this is Active Spin." Matz is 20th. Pallante is 12th. Some Cards can spin a curve.

Batter exit velocity (average):

Cardinals have no one in the top 64. Nolan is 65th with 89.5 mph. Goldy at 79th with 88.5 mph. TON at 100 with 87.4 mph.

Carlson is 6th worst in the league in average exit velocity. With ZERO barrels on the ball. Safe to say the bat is being knocked out of his hands. He's not this bad, but I am concerned about Carlson atm. I think he may project as a 4th OFer type long-term.

Take a look

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/leaderbo ... ortDir=asc

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Re: Mike Trout's speed, and other things

Post by JoeMcKim »

I missed being able to watch Trout for the majority of last season. He's truly a generational talent.

Superorganism
Veteran Player

Post by Superorganism »

JoeMcKim wrote:
April 26 22, 10:06 am
I missed being able to watch Trout for the majority of last season. He's truly a generational talent.
Agreed.

MLB star power is in a fantastic spot at the moment. Trout, Harper, Ohtani, Tatis, Soto. The list goes on. Hope they all stay healthy. It's part of the reason I want a 140 game season. I'd rather watch them less if they can be in top form more often.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Calf didn’t seem to be an issue like some thought.

This league is sorely missing Tatis Jr. Can’t wait for him to get back. Vlad doing his thing though. Always love Harper. Still passed Harper is not a Cardinal. God damn that makes me mad.

It’s time Buxton is a household name. Guy can do it all.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
April 26 22, 12:08 pm
Always love Harper. Still passed Harper is not a Cardinal. God damn that makes me mad.
Yep, would’ve been epic.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

Superorganism wrote:
April 26 22, 9:59 am
With an average sprint speed of 29.9 ft/s, Mike Trout is still a top 3 speedster. Tied for first with three other guys: Trea Turner, Bobby Witt, Matt Vierling. Not bad for a 30 year old. Yadi Molina? Last in MLB at 20.7 ft/s. There's a gulf between him and second to last.

Wainwright is 7th in MLB in active spin on his curveball (95.7). Active spin "When thrown with pure top or backspin, then 100% of the spin contributes to movement. You can also throw a pitch with some side-action so that some of the deflection will go up or down, and some will go side to side. All of this is Active Spin." Matz is 20th. Pallante is 12th. Some Cards can spin a curve.

Batter exit velocity (average):

Cardinals have no one in the top 64. Nolan is 65th with 89.5 mph. Goldy at 79th with 88.5 mph. TON at 100 with 87.4 mph.

Carlson is 6th worst in the league in average exit velocity. With ZERO barrels on the ball. Safe to say the bat is being knocked out of his hands. He's not this bad, but I am concerned about Carlson atm. I think he may project as a 4th OFer type long-term.

Take a look

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/leaderbo ... ortDir=asc
That's interesting that Matt Vierling is so fast. I went to high school with his father, Dan, who was a two-sport star in football and basketball. Dan was a tremendous athlete (and great guy--one of my friends), but fast he was not.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

ken barry and aaron crow are the only notables from my high school

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn