New Playoff Format

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Re: New Playoff Format

Post by Leroy »

Go back to two divisions, the winners play each other. Like in the bible.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Leroy wrote:
September 28 22, 9:25 am
Braves/Mets v Dodgers and Yanks v Houston would be cool to see.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Leroy wrote:
September 28 22, 9:25 am
In the Old Testament, you either went to the World Series or you went home.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

dmarx114 wrote:
September 28 22, 9:16 am
Famous Mortimer wrote:
September 28 22, 8:49 am
So it's the fault of the playoff format that the Cardinals didn't win enough games to avoid the wild card?

I think the entire playoff format sucks too, but I don't think the Cardinals were screwed any more than any other team.
Yes. Division champions should be in the NLDS. They shouldn't have to play a best of 3.
I'd be more upset if the Cardinals were in a really tough division with an extremely unbalanced schedule. Where having 90-ish wins in a really tough division may be a sign of being a better team than a 100 win team with everyone else in their division under .500.

But as it stands, the Cardinals haven't been as good as the Dodgers and Mets/Braves. I don't mind it being incentivized to do more than just win a weak division, if you want a first round bye.

If you look at it from the Cardinals' perspective, having 3 more home playoff games may actually help the bottom line, so they might like it.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

dmarx114 wrote:
April 27 22, 9:07 am
We are all aware of the new playoff format, right? You know, the one that is going to screw over the NL Central champion.

Seems like the East and West winners will finish 1st and 2nd overall in the NL standings. So even if the Cards win the Central, they get the great prize of home field advantage in the wild card round.

So no real difference between winning the Central and being the 3rd wild card team. Really takes some steam out of the regular season. This format sucks.

(Sorry if this was posted already. I couldn't find it, but thought it deserved its own thread.)
Had a feeling in April we would be screwed over.

Oh well. Such is life.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

We didn’t get screwed over. Oli mismanaged is into one loss, and our MVP contenders couldn’t come through. We would have lost a 5 game series playing like this too.

dan_yall
Veteran Player

Post by dan_yall »

Popeye_Card wrote:
September 28 22, 9:43 am
dmarx114 wrote:
September 28 22, 9:16 am
Famous Mortimer wrote:
September 28 22, 8:49 am
So it's the fault of the playoff format that the Cardinals didn't win enough games to avoid the wild card?

I think the entire playoff format sucks too, but I don't think the Cardinals were screwed any more than any other team.

Yes. Division champions should be in the NLDS. They shouldn't have to play a best of 3.
I'd be more upset if the Cardinals were in a really tough division with an extremely unbalanced schedule. Where having 90-ish wins in a really tough division may be a sign of being a better team than a 100 win team with everyone else in their division under .500.

But as it stands, the Cardinals haven't been as good as the Dodgers and Mets/Braves. I don't mind it being incentivized to do more than just win a weak division, if you want a first round bye.

If you look at it from the Cardinals' perspective, having 3 more home playoff games may actually help the bottom line, so they might like it.
Two more home playoff games.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Popeye_Card wrote:
October 9 22, 6:09 am
We didn’t get screwed over. Oli mismanaged is into one loss, and our MVP contenders couldn’t come through. We would have lost a 5 game series playing like this too.
You could begin and end with the bolded part. That explains it all.

jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Post by jagtrader »

They weren’t screwed over. They weren’t good enough. But the format sucks. It’s unpalatable to sit through such a long season knowing you can win 93 games or 101 in the Mets case and get a best-of-3 against a team that won fewer. The season used to be irrelevant for the bad teams. Now it is irrelevant for the good teams.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

The solution is to win enough games to have the #1 or #2 record in the league. All the Cards have to do is aim higher. They won't. Instead they have optimized the team to maximize profits. They've calculated that trying to win 104 games or whatever isn't worth the additional cost, so they don't try. The sweet spot is just getting into the playoffs. That's enough to get enough people believing so they still sell a lot of tickets but it's not so much that they'd have to spend money trying to win those extra 10 games. Those last 10 wins are expensive!!! Us peasants should be happy with the low playoff seed they give us.