Dejong Optioned to AAA

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
DeadMoney
Veteran Player

Re: Dejong Optioned to AAA

Post by DeadMoney »

I wish Dejong well and hope it turns it around but I feel like he's done. Seems like a really likeable guy.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

This feels like a scenario that has had the potential to play out like this with several different players; Marp, to name just one player. And its been interesting to see just how far a manager will go to "protect" a player from something as drastic as a demotion in the last handful of years, or so. Manager Marmol has been more vocal about 'produce, or gtfo' than Shildt, or Matheny, and even TLR. The FO doing what they do with lineups and roster, may have always had a hard line about keeping your job through statistical output. But a Manager might advocate for guys based on track record, and any number of different intangibles. Marmol doesnt come across as a guy that's going to "go to bat" for a player that simply isn't doing his job, regardless of service time. I DIG THAT. There's something that rings true about the notion that no matter what you represent, you better be the best at what you are asked to do if you expect to keep your job. That's a solid message; little room for grey area. Play your best players.

Spider John
Hall Of Famer

Post by Spider John »

Radbird wrote:
May 11 22, 5:40 am
How can you not pull for him after that?

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

I'm trying to think of who it was, but there was another brainiac type like dejong that seemed to have similar issues. they are so smart they keep overthinking everything and getting in their own way.

TGantz
R-E-S-P-E-C-T...What Dr Pepper Means to Me

Post by TGantz »

Great statement from Dejong. Obviously, it benefits his situation and future job offers to handle it professional. But it must not be THAT obvious because many players struggle with the ego aspect of being sent down.

I get it, that drive is what got them to that level. But it is refreshing to see a professional approach to it. I would imagine Dejong himself is a little relieved to work on some things out of the spotlight and get things right.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

The Cardinals Run Out of Patience With Paul DeJong
by Jay Jaffe
May 11, 2022
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-cardina ... ul-dejong/

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

cardsfantx wrote:
May 11 22, 9:59 am
I'm trying to think of who it was, but there was another brainiac type like dejong that seemed to have similar issues. they are so smart they keep overthinking everything and getting in their own way.
Brian "Rocket Scientist" Barton?

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

JoeMcKim wrote:
May 10 22, 2:07 pm
The Cardinals have finally promoted Jerry Seinfeld.
Dejong? Out?

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

MinorLeagueGuy wrote:
May 11 22, 11:27 am
cardsfantx wrote:
Brian "Rocket Scientist" Barton?
Khalil Greene?

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

cardsfantx wrote:
Almost like you need guys to be dumb as hell like Pete Alonso. Nothing between the ears: makes for good hitting.