5/18 GDT: Cardinals(Hicks) @ Mets(Scherzer) 6:10 PM CT

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Jedibaracuda
Veteran Player

Re: 5/18 GDT: Cardinals(Hicks) @ Mets(Scherzer) 6:10 PM CT

Post by Jedibaracuda »

What is this season’s bullpen? I don’t even recognize alot of the names here. McFarland was supposed to be one of our good ones last year, right? I guess the life of a reliever can be a short one.

Tags:

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Keep running TJ out there. Its the only way he'll get cut. The FO wanted this guy. Force their hand by repeatedly putting in. Be nice for Marmol to be the savage he is, and state the obvious.

Bruiser Brody
Veteran Player

Post by Bruiser Brody »

Let Packy take on the TJ role.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

I guess there's a lot I don't understand about roster construction. Kodi Whitley was doing pretty well but now he's in the minors. McFarland, Walsh, and Wittgren (borderline) aren't good, but here they are. We could call up Liberatore and have Hicks improve our bullpen quickly, but that would end the Hicks As A Starter experiment. Meanwhile, our offense is patently bad outside of Arenado, Goldy, and Edman. Points to Carlson for coming around. But we keep Gorman in the minors in the name of defense, but we regularly start Yepez in the outfield. Dickerson is abysmal (-0.5 WAR in such a short amount of time), and not like he was great shakes the past two seasons, when he wasn't 33 years old, but we gave him a lot of money so he stays on the roster and plays.

Calling up Yepez and sending down DeJong were the right calls. Took awhile, but points have been allocated.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

Hicks reminds me of Martinez. He doesn't throw strikes.

Good questions about the roster construction. Donovan is doing well.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Fat_Bulldog wrote:
May 19 22, 7:18 am
Hicks reminds me of Martinez. He doesn't throw strikes.

Good questions about the roster construction. Donovan is doing well.
Good point on Donovan. He had a great year at AAA and the Arizona Fall League last year, a really OBP versatile guy, and I'm glad to see him getting his shot. As @Fat Strat wrote, he has Ben Zobrist potential. But he's never played much shortstop, and it does show. So again, we're told Gorman can't come up because we can't sacrifice Edman's defense at second, but here we are plugging Donovan in at short, and probably exclusively so now that Sosa is hurt. I don't understand the plan or what we're being told of it.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

You're not supposed to understand the front office. No one is. Mo creates magic with his fancy scarfs and non-answers. You must learn to accept this. You must!

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

We're basically past the point where data science and operating on the edges is the best way to improve your team, and your best bet almost assuredly is just paying for better players. I would hope that the reporters and columnists covering this team will continue to ask the front office what the max payroll is, why that is the max payroll, and if there are any scenarios where they would exceed that max payroll.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
May 19 22, 7:37 am
We're basically past the point where data science and operating on the edges is the best way to improve your team, and your best bet almost assuredly is just paying for better players. I would hope that the reporters and columnists covering this team will continue to ask the front office what the max payroll is, why that is the max payroll, and if there are any scenarios where they would exceed that max payroll.
Sadly, we got Goold, who I generally like, but gets super whiny and defensive when you point out that the Cardinals ownership clearly budges and strategizes for an 87ish win team that competes for the wildcard, and refuses to spend over the amount projected to achieve that minimum level of competitiveness. You'd think he was a Cardinals employee with how petulant he gets when you point out the moves the team could've made that would have gotten us to 90+ wins but would have cost ownership money.