AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Re: 5/19 GDT: Cardinals(Hudson) @ Mets(Bassitt) 12:10 PM CT

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
May 19 22, 3:27 pm
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
May 19 22, 3:21 pm
In a vacuum I'd have left Helsley in and expected him to come back out. He looked good. But, no idea how well he can handle multiple innings, what future games look like, etc. He's thrown about 13 innings about a quarter of the way through the season. So, say, on pace for 52 innings this year. Add another 10 for the playoffs. 3 in ST. 65 innings seems like a pretty manageable workload for an MLB reliever.

Been a while since I looked, what do typical relievers throw in a year?
IMO It's less about the workload of the whole season and more about how reliever ERA spikes up like a hockey stick after 4 batters-faced. Especially non longmen/converted starters. Helsley was a starter once years ago in the minors. So I am not sure how he is suited for this role.
Read the article you posted earlier and started sifting through a lot of the online guys I follow that talk about pitching. And I think you have a good point.

Probably for a different reason though. We all kind of dismiss the mental aspect of baseball because it’s not quantifiable and easier to just say they’re pros and should deal with it. But it does seem mlb relievers mindset is just geared different. And the tune is more/less hyper aggression for a few outs then be done. One guy in particular, Dan blewett i think is his name on you tube (terrible pitchers name), even talks about going out for a second inning and his quote was “ you want me to do that again?” Point being he had nothing in the tank mentally even if he had only faced one guy and thrown one pitch.

I guess an argument could be made teams should train relievers to be more along the lines of a starters mentality of well gonna see multiple guys multiple times, need to play some chess here. But that’s entirely opposite of what relievers are doing today. Almost all are failed starters and have found a niche in getting a few guys out. Or one guy out in a jam. Which seems to be status quo.

At the same time, seems like teams could do a better job a situation like today. Tell them if they blow through the first inning, may go out for a second. 13 pitches, no one on base isn’t taxing anyones arm. If he gets in trouble adjusting to preparing to go more, then take him out after 1.

I’d like to think they have this stuff figured out but after today, it really doesn’t look like they do. Tough to ask for a better/less stressful inning than the 9th.

And, I don’t think this is a physical thing. Could be wrong. But if a guy can’t throw 25 pitches physically with ample rest, or 35 even, over 2 innings, wtf are they doing on an mlb roster.

From what very very little I know about the conditioning of arms, 35 pitches over 2 innings, even stressful situations, is pretty non-taxing.