6/19 GDT: Cardinals(Pallante) @ Red Sox(Pivetta) 12:35 PM CT

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Re: 6/19 GDT: Cardinals(Pallante) @ Red Sox(Pivetta) 12:35 PM CT

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

No one asked, but I like Oli way more than Shildt. Oli is way more calculated in my opinion. Shildt…did not think too much before speaking. Good quality of Oli.

Tags:

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Missed this game because I was 80 miles deep into the rainforest, but saw the Yepez bat flip. It was great to see. I hope he’s on an upswing again.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

The view from my seat (leaning over a bit). I was only a flyball away from a Bartman incident.

TON & Tots warming up

Albert getting ready to strike out (not sure which time...)

The Yepez blast hit the middle of the Plymouth Rock sign. not sure how they measured that at only 398' as it clearly would've landed across Lansdowne Street
Image]

A few shots coming back from concessions

This place was built when people were tiny. Actually, it feels like they were just trying to cram in as many premium field box seats as possible. The sections above us had somewhat normal legroom and aisles wide enough for 2-way traffic for $40 less. At least the seats were pointed towards the plate. My only other visit in 2013 we sat down the RF line and those seats looked directly at the Monster. I had a stiff neck after that game as I had to keep my head turned the entire game to see the plate.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
June 19 22, 6:00 pm
Oli on point.

Using high leverage guys in losing games is how you tax a pen
Well, I think he's being overly cautious, and it's hurting the team. I think there is a happy medium somewhere.

It starts with answering the question of how many innings we want Helsley and Gio throwing this season (before the playoffs). Gio threw 80 innings last year, and I understand if the team wants both he and Helsley to be short of that. I think 70 innings for both is reasonable, and likely to be on the conservative side.

Both are on pace for 60 innings pitched. That's being conservative to an extreme, and it could jeopardize the Cardinals chances of winning the division.

Do I think putting Gio in the 8th down by 2 yesterday would have been smart? Not at all. That's a game we are highly likely to lose, and we need him fresh for the 4 game series against the Brewers.

But there are other times when being down by 2 in lets say the 7th inning of a home game, where it absolutely makes sense to still bring in Gio or Helsley. So Oli is wrong if he things there is absolutely no situation where he would bring in Gio down by 2.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

Good pics. I was supposed to go Saturday (the only game we won!). Freaking Covid.

Richie Allen
Perennial All-Star

Post by Richie Allen »

I hate playing Boston too but I love Fenway!

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

dmarx114 wrote:
June 20 22, 4:21 pm
Big Amoco Sign wrote:
June 19 22, 6:00 pm
Oli on point.

Using high leverage guys in losing games is how you tax a pen
Well, I think he's being overly cautious, and it's hurting the team. I think there is a happy medium somewhere.

It starts with answering the question of how many innings we want Helsley and Gio throwing this season (before the playoffs). Gio threw 80 innings last year, and I understand if the team wants both he and Helsley to be short of that. I think 70 innings for both is reasonable, and likely to be on the conservative side.

Both are on pace for 60 innings pitched. That's being conservative to an extreme, and it could jeopardize the Cardinals chances of winning the division.

Do I think putting Gio in the 8th down by 2 yesterday would have been smart? Not at all. That's a game we are highly likely to lose, and we need him fresh for the 4 game series against the Brewers.

But there are other times when being down by 2 in lets say the 7th inning of a home game, where it absolutely makes sense to still bring in Gio or Helsley. So Oli is wrong if he things there is absolutely no situation where he would bring in Gio down by 2.
The last two seasons aren’t alike. Last year had way less blow out wins and a much closer run differential. Way more relying on top pen arms. The record matters. The gap in leads matter. I don’t think it’s too conservative. More close games will be getting here and plenty of time to use.