6/20 GDT: Cardinals(Mikolas) @ Brewers(Burnes) 7:10 PM CT

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: 6/20 GDT: Cardinals(Mikolas) @ Brewers(Burnes) 7:10 PM CT

Post by CardsofSTL »

Knew it was going to be tough with Burnes going. Got to buckle down and try to win the next three.

Tags:

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

dmarx114 wrote:
June 20 22, 9:09 pm
Burns has 14 innings, 21 strikeouts, 4 hits, 0 runs allowed in 2 starts against us this season.
He's extremely good. Sucks that Mikolas made one mistake pitch and it got hammered, but Burnes made 0.

I still think the Cardinals grade out well against the Brewers if we get fully healthy and remake our bullpen. But for now, their rotation and bullpen vastly exceeds ours, while our lineup and defense is much deeper and better than theirs.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

heyzeus wrote:
June 21 22, 9:20 am
dmarx114 wrote:
Burns has 14 innings, 21 strikeouts, 4 hits, 0 runs allowed in 2 starts against us this season.
He's extremely good. Sucks that Mikolas made one mistake pitch and it got hammered, but Burnes made 0.

I still think the Cardinals grade out well against the Brewers if we get fully healthy and remake our bullpen. But for now, their rotation and bullpen vastly exceeds ours, while our lineup and defense is much deeper and better than theirs.
Did Burnes really play a mistake-free game? I didn't watch last night, but I saw some chatter that he played very well, but definitely left some hittable pitches over the middle of the plate, and the lineup just didn't do anything with them.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
June 21 22, 9:23 am
heyzeus wrote:
dmarx114 wrote:

Did Burnes really play a mistake-free game? I didn't watch last night, but I saw some chatter that he played very well, but definitely left some hittable pitches over the middle of the plate, and the lineup just didn't do anything with them.
Good question. I was only able to watch from maybe the 5th inning on, and even then I didn't get to see every pitch. My guess is no pitcher ever truly throws a game without offering anything hittable. Otherwise he'd walk a bunch of people. But his pitches were low in the zone, had great movement, broke in to LH batters, etc etc. He was truly rough.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

Burnes looked good last night. A lot of late movement in and around the zone.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

heyzeus wrote:
June 21 22, 9:34 am
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
June 21 22, 9:23 am
heyzeus wrote:
dmarx114 wrote:

Good question. I was only able to watch from maybe the 5th inning on, and even then I didn't get to see every pitch. My guess is no pitcher ever truly throws a game without offering anything hittable. Otherwise he'd walk a bunch of people. But his pitches were low in the zone, had great movement, broke in to LH batters, etc etc. He was truly rough.
This is accurate. Were there hittable pitches here and there? Yeah, of course. But there weren't many.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

That's kinda what I figured. You aren't going to get many chances against Burnes, and if you don't take advantage of the ones you get, you're cooked.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
June 21 22, 11:46 am
That's kinda what I figured. You aren't going to get many chances against Burnes, and if you don't take advantage of the ones you get, you're cooked.
Then they only had to use Devin Williams and Hader, who are both incredibly effective. Milwaukee def treated it like a playoff game.