heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Re: Flaherty and Bader to the IL

Post by heyzeus »

Magneto2.0 wrote:
June 28 22, 10:08 am
heyzeus wrote:
June 28 22, 8:57 am
If we were really serious, we could have signed someone like Carlos Rodon (2 years 44 mil) and enjoyed his 2.70 ERA and 2.6 WAR before the end of June, but instead we went with a less good option that ironically was also a $44 mil contract, but we get his mediocrity over 4 years instead of two.

We basically planned our offseason pitching acquisition strategy on that old Woody Allen joke, "the food here is terrible, and the portions are too small."
To be fair, I understand not signing Rodon when you have a roster full of question marks in the rotation, adding Rodon who is always injured (He's only had 20 starts 2 time since 2016) and who has only been good for 1 season, is not a no brainer.

I wanted him too, but I get why they weren't going after him.
That's a fair point. Gausman or Scherzer where who we all wanted, and we all knew Dewitt wa$n't going to $pring for that.

Tags:

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

I do think the budget blame still primarily falls on Dewitt, but I wonder how much pull Mo has. If he thought it was necessary to get a better but more expensive pitcher than Matz, maybe along the lines of Stroman, could he have talked Dewitt into it?

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

heyzeus wrote:
June 28 22, 10:11 am
Magneto2.0 wrote:
June 28 22, 10:08 am
heyzeus wrote:
June 28 22, 8:57 am
If we were really serious, we could have signed someone like Carlos Rodon (2 years 44 mil) and enjoyed his 2.70 ERA and 2.6 WAR before the end of June, but instead we went with a less good option that ironically was also a $44 mil contract, but we get his mediocrity over 4 years instead of two.

We basically planned our offseason pitching acquisition strategy on that old Woody Allen joke, "the food here is terrible, and the portions are too small."
To be fair, I understand not signing Rodon when you have a roster full of question marks in the rotation, adding Rodon who is always injured (He's only had 20 starts 2 time since 2016) and who has only been good for 1 season, is not a no brainer.

I wanted him too, but I get why they weren't going after him.
That's a fair point. Gausman or Scherzer where who we all wanted, and we all knew Dewitt wa$n't going to $pring for that.
Yeah to me this was the perfect time to get Scherzer. There was really no excuse other than being cheap

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Why were they not all over Alex Wood? Typical Mo type pitcher. 2/25m. Pennies for DeWitt.

I know he's not been as good as usual but he's still a 3.62 FIP. Just a lot of batted ball unluckiness. Still productive and durable.
Last edited by Big Amoco Sign on June 28 22, 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
June 28 22, 10:18 am
I do think the budget blame still primarily falls on Dewitt, but I wonder how much pull Mo has. If he thought it was necessary to get a better but more expensive pitcher than Matz, maybe along the lines of Stroman, could he have talked Dewitt into it?
Yeah it's hard to know without knowing how strict the budget is. Does Dewitt give them a certain amount to work with and say "This is it, work with this budget" or is a flexible to where Dewitt says "This is your working budget of Y, but if a game changing talent becomes available, we'll extend it to X if necessary". I think that determines where a lot of the blame goes. But still with that, even with a rigid budget, I still question the players Mo allocates the money to.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

For the record, I was never mad at the Matz signing and still think he will be good when he returns. He has an excellent K% (Strikes out 26.8% of batters faced), good BB% (Only walking 4.9% of batters faced). He just gives up too many HRs.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Magneto2.0 wrote:
June 28 22, 10:37 am
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
June 28 22, 10:18 am
Yeah it's hard to know without knowing how strict the budget is. Does Dewitt give them a certain amount to work with and say "This is it, work with this budget" or is a flexible to where Dewitt says "This is your working budget of Y, but if a game changing talent becomes available, we'll extend it to X if necessary". I think that determines where a lot of the blame goes. But still with that, even with a rigid budget, I still question the players Mo allocates the money to.
Agreed with all of this. Even if one doesn't think Dewitt is cheap, I do think it's fair to say he's cheaper than he should be or needs to be. But, I think it's also fair to wonder why Mo-- a guy who could presumably get any job he wanted-- would keep working for someone who kept him in shackles unless they were on the same page.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Watched the Mo and Jack interview where Mo throws Jack under the bus and Jack has a classy answer to why he struggled getting right.

Mo is such a smug dickhead and it’ll be a glorious day when he’s finally canned by BDW.
It’s YOUR decision you dummy.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Yeah he needs to go before Jack reaches FA. Pretty clear there’s no love lost between the two.

AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD

Post by AdmiralKird »

This is like the 100th Missourian I've seen this week who thinks the patient shouldn't have the right to choose Plan B.