a_smith
Perennial All-Star

Re: Flaherty and Bader to the IL

Post by a_smith »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
June 27 22, 3:28 pm
JoeMcKim wrote:
June 27 22, 2:59 pm
Flaherty has only pitched 8 innings over 3 games so I don't want to hear he would've been fine if he just took 2 more rehab starts. So he develops the same issues while pitching for Memphis than with the Cardinals. It doesn't really change anything.
The team rolling the dice with often-injured players going into the season when plenty of talent was available to sign is ridiculous.

Flaherty
Matz
Reyes
Mikolas
Hicks

All had question marks and/or heavily documented injury history. Mikolas, thank god, is having no issues. Even Waino repeat of 2021 was a high risk. Makes no sense. Then you signed Drew VerHagen and Aaron Brooks and Zach McCallister to insult the fans? A joke.

Now what's the plan? Montas sounds beyond reach. They need to make a pre-deadline John Lackey type move like no other. No idea who is on the block. The trade chip I use is Dickerson to a lefty OF starved playoff team. Phillies might want him. Probably need an AL team to make any deal.

I honestly look at trading Liberatore if they want a front line starter. If Libby netted Montas and a AA starter in Oakland's top 30, I do it.
I have not really paid attention. What FA starters and relievers have had good years? I was thinking about this and I cannot really remember what pitchers were available. I really wanted Stroman, but he has been poopy.

(just to be clear, I [expletive] hate that we are back here again)

Tags:

SunnyJim
Veteran Player

Post by SunnyJim »

GeddyWrox wrote:
June 27 22, 1:07 pm
Our season is over?
Or, at least, the clubhouse is stale.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

a_smith wrote:
June 27 22, 3:59 pm
I have not really paid attention. What FA starters and relievers have had good years? I was thinking about this and I cannot really remember what pitchers were available.
https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/2022/pitching/

If you mean this year, there were a lot in that "bowl of oatmeal" price range that are doing pretty well. Boxberger, Perez types. I'm not saying it's on Mo to predict the future but damn, have some better fallbacks. And we all knew SP was a need like no other. It is yearly. Even after they make a move like signing Mikolas or Kim or Matz. There's always a need for more. Especially now that AAA isn't churning them out. Libby and Thompson are kind of a bust in being able to fill a rotation spot (for 2022) as good as the starters of yesteryear like Weaver and Flaherty and Co. were able to do for the team. I just don't see the SP talent bubbling up as fast as it has in 2010s.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
June 27 22, 3:39 pm
But, it is your decision. Like, Jack can tell you he feels fine, but every athlete's going to say that.
Yeah him saying "ultimately it's not our decision" is a terrible statement.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

It is your decision. And given that Jack gets rattled easy, you should make these decisions for him to protect him.

If MO was a character in the original Batman series, he would be known as the "Muddler." (Adam West Batman voice - "not so fast Muddler")

a_smith
Perennial All-Star

Post by a_smith »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
June 27 22, 4:03 pm
a_smith wrote:
June 27 22, 3:59 pm
I have not really paid attention. What FA starters and relievers have had good years? I was thinking about this and I cannot really remember what pitchers were available.
https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/2022/pitching/

If you mean this year, there were a lot in that "bowl of oatmeal" price range that are doing pretty well. Boxberger, Perez types. I'm not saying it's on Mo to predict the future but damn, have some better fallbacks. And we all knew SP was a need like no other. It is yearly. Even after they make a move like signing Mikolas or Kim or Matz. There's always a need for more. Especially now that AAA isn't churning them out. Libby and Thompson are kind of a bust in being able to fill a rotation spot (for 2022) as good as the starters of yesteryear like Weaver and Flaherty and Co. were able to do for the team. I just don't see the SP talent bubbling up as fast as it has in 2010s.
Thanks for the list. I like the 'bowl of oatmeal' line.
It is telling that every single one of the FA pitchers we signed+ Dickerson has stunk and there were a lot of other options out there.
There is something wrong in their evaluation system if this is the results we are getting.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

If we were really serious, we could have signed someone like Carlos Rodon (2 years 44 mil) and enjoyed his 2.70 ERA and 2.6 WAR before the end of June, but instead we went with a less good option that ironically was also a $44 mil contract, but we get his mediocrity over 4 years instead of two.

We basically planned our offseason pitching acquisition strategy on that old Woody Allen joke, "the food here is terrible, and the portions are too small."

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Fat_Bulldog wrote:
June 28 22, 6:44 am
It is your decision. And given that Jack gets rattled easy, you should make these decisions for him to protect him.

This is important. The audio side of MLB mentioned over and over, that Jack was visible uncomfortable/frustrated with himself in the last 2 games he pitched. in fact, all it took was one batter(walk) into the game, and he was "yelling at himself" last time out. Coupled with a previous abbreviated start, all the flags and whistles shouldve been going off in the dugout. But they let him solider through it, to their detriment.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

heyzeus wrote:
June 28 22, 8:57 am
If we were really serious, we could have signed someone like Carlos Rodon (2 years 44 mil) and enjoyed his 2.70 ERA and 2.6 WAR before the end of June, but instead we went with a less good option that ironically was also a $44 mil contract, but we get his mediocrity over 4 years instead of two.

We basically planned our offseason pitching acquisition strategy on that old Woody Allen joke, "the food here is terrible, and the portions are too small."
To be fair, I understand not signing Rodon when you have a roster full of question marks in the rotation, adding Rodon who is always injured (He's only had 20 starts 2 time since 2016) and who has only been good for 1 season, is not a no brainer.

I wanted him too, but I get why they weren't going after him.