Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Mark Polishuk that occurred on June 26.

More and more trade speculation as we get closer to the deadline. I included 3 related bonus Q&As about the international draft, Humpty Dumpty(?!?!?) and the All-Star Game.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-live-chat-13412.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
What’s the likelihood that Bryan Reynolds gets traded at the trade deadline?

Mark Polishuk
If a team stepped up and met the Pirates' huge demands, Reynolds would be gone. However, it doesn't seem like the Bucs will make a move for anything less than that, so my guess is that Reynolds stays put.
Dominguez, Wells and Waldichuk for Castillo?

Mark Polishuk
The Reds would take that offer in a heartbeat, but there's no way the Yankees are giving up that much.
The Brewers/Cards both seem like fringe contenders hoping to get in the playoffs and hoping for magic. Should either trade top prospects for a hope and prayer?

Mark Polishuk
I'm higher on the Cards than you are, and in Milwaukee's case, their contention window may not be this wide open for some time in the future. As long as you're in the playoffs, you always have a chance....just look at last year, when few would've predicted Atlanta going all the way.
Dodgers should jump early for D Rob and Astros for Contreras! You agree?

Mark Polishuk
The Astros love Martin Maldonado, I doubt they'll make a play for a new everyday catcher. And Robertson to the Dodgers makes sense, but the Cubs certainly have a high asking price right now.
With all the young guys in Pittsburgh getting a lot of ABs, do you see the Pirates being both sellers and buyers at the deadline?

Mark Polishuk
Pittsburgh is an interesting seller-AND-buyer candidate. Like with the O's, they've been in full rebuild mode for so long that we don't yet have any sense of what it would look like to see the Pirates adding talent (though obviously we have Cherington's track record to go on from Boston).

I don't think the Bucs are aiming for 2023 to contend, since they'll first want to actually see these youngsters in action at the MLB level. Maybe 2022 will be the evaluation year, but this offseason could see the Pirates get a touch more aggressive.
Who do you think untouchable Yankees prospects are? Could you see an Ian Happ trade?

Mark Polishuk
I would be flat-out shocked if Volpe, Peraza, or Dominguez were dealt. Taking a glance at the top 100, Waldichuk and Wells are probably unlikely to be moved either, but anyone beyond that is feasible.

Keep in mind that New York has a deep farm system, so even though one of their 6-15 types might not be "top 100" prospects, they're still interesting young players.
I have a sense Votto may retire at the end of the year. Could you see him hanging it up a year before his contract ends?

Mark Polishuk
As much as Votto is an iconoclastic kind of guy, I find it hard to believe that he'd walk away from $25MM.
Would a Votto and Castillo for Hosmer and prospects be plausible?

Mark Polishuk
That would be really tricky to work out, particularly since Votto has a full no-trade cause and Hosmer has a 10-team clause (though it isn't known if Cincy is on that list).
In general, the Reds are more likely to maximize their prospect return for Castillo, rather than just use him as part of a salary dump-style of trade.
What do you see Brewers doing at trade deadline?

Mark Polishuk
Adding some hitting, though the Brewers are in a bit of a tough spot. They already have a set of regulars, most of whom are hard to move, but also nobody is really hitting all that well.

In general, the outfield seems like the best spot for an upgrade. Cain's no longer a factor, and McCutchen and Taylor can be relegated to part-time duty.
Does Tommy Pham make sense for the Phillies and realistically he shouldn’t cost them too much to acquire…

Mark Polishuk
Pham the Philadelphia Phillie is phun from an alliterative sense, but you'd think the Phillies would phior....er, prioritize a better defensive outfielder.
Is Davis Ross in more hot water than the Cubs are letting on?

Mark Polishuk
He just signed an extension in March, so I'm guessing not.
With Flaherty leaving the game early, do/should the Cardinals look at trading for a starting pitcher?

Mark Polishuk
Rotation help seemed to be on the menu for Cards even before today, and if Flaherty is actually hurt, the need becomes greater. According to early reports, it seems like it might be a "dead arm" situation more than an actual injury, but stay tuned.
Who do the Reds deal? What positions do they target at the MiLB level? Any extension candidates (Drury?)

Mark Polishuk
In general, it should be "best talent available" in terms of minor league acquisitions. If there ends up being a logjam at a particular position, that's a good problem to have, but those types of issues usually sort themselves out.

My guess is that at least one of Mahle or Castillo are dealt. Drury is a likelier trade candidate than an extension candidate. Naquin too will be shopped.
I totally get advanced analytics and am an advocate of it. But how in the heck does Edman have a higher WAR than Trout and Judge?

Mark Polishuk
Keep in mind that there is more than one way to calculate WAR. Baseball Reference has Edman ahead of everyone in baseball, but by Fangraphs' measure, Edman is merely eighth in WAR (and Machado leads the way).
Do you think the international draft will be agreed upon this year?

Mark Polishuk
At this late date, my guess is that MLB and the union might be sticking with the qualifying offer system for another year. There haven't been really any updates on progress about int'l draft negotiations, though understandably, I can get why the league and MLBPA would want to keep labor talks out of the headlines.
From your insiders/informants, do you have any details ala was Humpty Dumpty pushed by his ex or did he honestly fall?

Mark Polishuk
I'm more of an amateur sleuth, so for a case like that, you'd need a....hard-boiled detective.

(I'll pause for a few moments so you can finish applauding.)
I didn't crack up at that one.

Mark Polishuk
*tips cap*
Why not wait until the end of the end of the year to name all stars? Do the game then too.

Mark Polishuk
You're not going to get players (most of whom have been in shutdown mode for weeks) to reconvene for an exhibition game after the season. If you want an example of how half-hearted such a game would be, I point you towards the NFL Pro Bowl.

Tags:

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Re: Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Post by Magneto2.0 »

Elite defense added in with the position he plays and baserunning is why Edman is so high in WAR