How good is Juan Yepez?

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

How good is Juan Yepez?

Post by GeddyWrox »

I searched a bit for a better place to ask this but didn't find one. Mods move it if you want.

Was discussing Yepez with my brother last night. He was asking how good I think he is/could be. I said I thought he had a little bit of a long swing and pitchers might be able to start to take advantage of that. And right as I was saying that, he struck out swinging while pulling way off the ball and Albert grinned and gave him a look. I thought it was amusing and kind of illustrated my point to my brother. LOL

You guys are a lot better judge of players. Was I accurate, or off base?

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Re: How good is Juan Yepez?

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

According to Statcast, he struggles against the fastball but is a plus hitter and one of the better ones in the league at the junk pitches like slider, changeup, etc. It was smart to put him in against Lopez. Yepez sits on changeup. Bryce Harper is another hitter like that. Ones that spit fastball and crush offspeed.

I think he's a great hitter. Every other aspect of the game, he's slow and big. Baserunning and non-1B defense--lots of room to improve. At least to be competent like other slow players (Goldschmidt, Arenado).

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

I don't love the DH, but I find myself less of an "NL is the only true baseball and now it's ruined" guy these days. What I'm saying is, it's generally more fun to watch your team on offense when a competent hitter takes the place of the pitcher. And a big part of this feeling is having a guy like Yepez to take those DH at bats.

All offseason I was beating the "yepez and gorman as the DH platoon" drum. Now I'm even happier seeing Gorman play 2B and Yepez mostly DH. I believe his emergence at AAA was for real. He has a long swing. He hits for tremendous power. I'd love to see him get his walk rate closer to what it was at AAA. but we have a guy at league minimum salary with a 137 OPS+ in an extremely offense-constrained league. That is incredibly valuable!

I strongly dislike seeing him play the outfield, though. Yikes.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

He's good at hitting baseballs now just largely based on talent; he will be great as he continues to learn more about hitting.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

He was always going to be a valuable player because he can mash baseballs, the single-most important thing any non-position player can do. He was underrated as a prospect because he doesn't really have a position, which is foolish because the bat plays.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Albert sure seems to see something in him, that's for sure.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

I believe we found our DH for the next several seasons (and cheap to boot so cards have to love that)

I just don't want to see him in the field

booger71
All-Star

Post by booger71 »

cardsfantx wrote:
June 28 22, 10:58 am
I believe we found our DH for the next several seasons (and cheap to boot so cards have to love that)

I just don't want to see him in the field
He is OK at first base, but should be banned from the outfield. Long swingers rely so much on timing, that they struggle with the fastball. Maybe Albert can help him with that.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

I think the curious thing on Yepez is that his track record in the minors was pretty long and undistinguished until last year. So there's been uncertainty what the real Juan Yepez looks like.

I also love that we got him for Matt Adams.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

heyzeus wrote:
June 28 22, 11:16 am
pretty long and undistinguished
so's my johnson
Last edited by cardsfantx on June 28 22, 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.