Big Amoco Sign wrote:
July 13 22, 10:33 pm
dmarx114 wrote:
July 13 22, 10:31 pm
Big Amoco Sign wrote:
July 13 22, 10:26 pm
dmarx114 wrote:
July 13 22, 10:13 pm
If McFarland can’t come in to the 8th with a 3 run lead, he shouldn’t be on the team.

Meanwhile Thompson is wasting away in Memphis.

This makes no sense at all.
Thompson was being “stretched out” to be a starter. What doesn’t make sense unless you have baseball knowledge of that being a bad thing?

John Mozeliak for you. He kind of sucks and shouldn’t be extended.

Promote Flores. I don’t know. It’s one loss versus a damn good lineup. I have short memory. Let’s evaluate at the deadline.

Rolling Leverage to me:

Helsley
Packy
Gallegos
Fernandez
Cabrera
DVH
If McFarland is on the team, he needs to pitch. The answer is not letting gio [expletive] up over and over again.
McFarland may quite literally be the worst reliever in baseball.
He is on the team to pitch. It is literally Oli’s job to utilize him in the most effective way possible. Having him pitch the 8th with cabby backing him up was the answer.
And more runs assuredly are given up.

Tags:

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Re: 7/13 GDT: Dodgers(Gonsolin) vs Cardinals(Wainwright) 6:45 PM CT

Post by dmarx114 »

Remember when Oli let cabby pitch 4 innings against the cubs? That’s called managing. Having a feel for the situation. Trusting your eyes even though it conflicts with the original plan.

That’s the Oli I want. But he hasn’t shown up in a while.

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

dmarx114 wrote:
July 13 22, 10:38 pm
Remember when Oli let cabby pitch 4 innings against the cubs? That’s called managing. Having a feel for the situation. Trusting your eyes even though it conflicts with the original plan.

That Oli had a better stable of pitchers.

Say what you will, and again I'm biased, I'd rather have Wittgren than McFarland at this point. I'd have run him out there instead of Junior last night and tonight.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

vinsanity wrote:
July 13 22, 10:42 pm
dmarx114 wrote:

That Oli had a better stable of pitchers.

Say what you will, and again I'm biased, I'd rather have Wittgren than McFarland at this point. I'd have run him out there instead of Junior last night and tonight.
The team is telling us that McFarland fixed himself. Let’s see it. Up 3 in the 8th with 2 lefties. This is why he’s on the freaking team. Now maybe he still sucks, and it wouldn’t shock me if he did.

But ending up with a tired junior and a slumping gio in the highest leverage situations is egregious managing.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

dmarx114 wrote:

It’s egregious GMing. What even is Girsch’s job again?

I feel like there’s things we don’t know going on. Like no one wanted Gio out there tonight. And I feel like you’re being disingenuous with the “closer” comment when he literally used Gio in different innings just before this.

Junior didn’t throw many pitches and wasn’t expected to throw many more tonight, good move just didn’t execute.

Everything you said is kind of subjective here. Anti-formulaic is his I see the pen management lately. Yesterday was top to bottom (Hicks opener even) great and it seemed Oli was hoping for some luck in this one with a pen on fumes. Mo will make moves.

You didn’t address Mozeliak’s Thompson move that “made no sense.”

Arm health isn’t on Oli. And rearranging deck chairs isn’t going to save a lead versus the Yankees of the NL.

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

dmarx114 wrote:
July 13 22, 10:45 pm
The team is telling us that McFarland fixed himself. Let’s see it. Up 3 in the 8th with 2 lefties. This is why he’s on the freaking team. Now maybe he still sucks, and it wouldn’t shock me if he did.

But ending up with a tired junior and a slumping gio in the highest leverage situations is egregious managing.
So maybe Oli doesn't like what he sees from TJ? Who do you think knows the staff better? Oli in the dugout with Maddux or Mo/Girsch?

Do you think this is the best possible roster the team could have constructed with it's noted payroll constraints? Do you think this is 100% on Oli and that most managers in baseball would be 6 games over .500 with this?

Do you just want Matheny back?

AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD

Post by AdmiralKird »

It's clear the Cardinals need to add a good setup man.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

Still can't get over getting beat by Hanser Alberto after he got the second out. Unreal

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

vinsanity wrote:
July 13 22, 10:50 pm
dmarx114 wrote:
July 13 22, 10:45 pm

So maybe Oli doesn't like what he sees from TJ? Who do you think knows the staff better? Oli in the dugout with Maddux or Mo/Girsch?

Do you think this is the best possible roster the team could have constructed with it's noted payroll constraints? Do you think this is 100% on Oli and that most managers in baseball would be 6 games over .500 with this?

Do you just want Matheny back?
Oli hasn’t seen anything from TJ since he got back.

What he has seen is gio pitch poorly over and over again.

There is no way any manager should think gio was the best option to pitch the 9th with a 1 run lead.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »