Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Mark Polishuk that occurred on July 24.

It was kind of a light chat yesterday and since today is an off day, I included a few more bonus Q&As. This chat occurred yesterday, so keep that in mind as you read the 1st bonus Q&A. Speaking of those, there are 4 others: 1 about a ramping up of trade activity; another about a potential Red Sox firesale; 1 about the overall idea of trading for Soto; 1 about cash considerations; and another about waiting until the deadline to make a move. Things to discuss on an off-day...

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-live-chat-13578.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Ok keep it real with me, how serious are Cardinals about potentially landing Soto?

Mark Polishuk
I would imagine they're seriously looking into it, given how adding Soto to that lineup would be wild.

The Cards are also a team with the type of young talent that Washington wants, as well as the amount of prospect depth to make a trade feasible (whereas other teams might have to clean out their systems entirely).
Who do you think will get into Cooperstown next year? The selection is kind of slim.

Mark Polishuk
Carlos Beltran is the only first-time nominee with a legit shot, but I think he'll get some blowback from the Astros cheating scandal. Scott Rolen has been garnering support and was up to 63.2% of the ballot last year...it's possible that with a few more names cleared off, he can crack 75 percent.

Other than that, it'll come down to whomever is elected from a very stacked veterans committee field.
Serious question - why can’t the Pirates develop players?

Mark Polishuk
Ben Cherington has only been in charge for less than three years. The prospects he's brought in haven't had much time to develop (plus, you know, no minor league season in 2020).
I just don't get what Jed Hoyer's plan is. Pretend to hang on the fringes of trying to compete while not spending money? Is that even a strategy?

Mark Polishuk
I think the Cubs are "essentially" rebuilding but don't want the bad PR of outright calling it a rebuild. The Suzuki deal was an opportunity to lock up a long-term player who can theoretically still help once the Cubs have reloaded with more talent, and the other acquisitions were shorter-term deals (factoring in Stroman's opt-out).

And also, the NL Central is not a strong division. I'll bet some part of Jed Hoyer thought that with some luck and a down year from one of the Cards/Brewers, the Cubs could sneak into the playoffs.
How can the Cardinals be one of the front runners for Soto based on the depth and strength of their farm, when ever smarty-pants, super cool prospect writer tells me that their farm is middle to below average? Baseball Pro #16, MLB pipeline #16, Fangraphs 15, Law #13, bleacher report #23.

Mark Polishuk
The Cards have a proven track record of turning homegrown prospects into productive big leaguers. The reason their farm systems are so relatively modest in the rankings is because a lot of players (Carlson, Gorman, O'Neill, etc.) have now graduated out of prospect status. Also, the Cards have been able to score with unheralded minor leaguers like Edman.
Do you see Braves going after someone like Merrifield, Happ or Reynolds?

Mark Polishuk
Definitely, though Reynolds isn't likely to be moved. But whether it's a bigger deal like a Happ trade or a relatively smaller swap like getting Merrifield, we've seen that the Braves are capable of anything.

In fact, Merrifield fits the 2021 model pretty well...pick up an underachieving veteran at the deadline and see if he blossoms.
How many players can the Reds trade and get a solid return for? I can't imagine we can compete until 2024 at the earliest.

Mark Polishuk
Bobby Nightengale of the Cincy Enquirer made a good point in a column this weekend... the Reds really need to pick a lane, whether it's a rebuild or another push to contend. Whatever the plan is, they need to stick to it, and not take half-measures like the last couple of seasons.

In this case, when it does seem like the team is at least a couple of years away anyway, why not take the opportunity to reload and score as many youngsters as possible?
When will the first major trade occur?

Mark Polishuk
Just earlier tonight, Jim Bowden made the point that some (all?) teams may be waiting until tomorrow's deadline for international draft negotiations. It makes sense that clubs would want to see how that situation shakes out before considering how many prospects they might move out in a possible deal
So with the draft signings deadline and tomorrow's int'l draft deadline, front offices can finally take a full-on look at the trade deadline.
Boston sure looks like sellers right now. JD, Vazquez, Strahm, Eovaldi, Bogaerts, are they all good as gone?

Mark Polishuk
If Boston did decide to sell, it is quite possible that most of their pending free agents would be gone. It would be different from 2020 (in no small part because this isn't a weird COVID-shortened season), and we also don't know yet if the Sox would approach this deadline as a reload for 2023, or maybe see 2023 as the rebuild year and 2024 as the new target
Could be a fascinating couple of weeks in Boston, and of course, they still might end up as sellers. If the Sox reeled off five wins in a row or something, they can perhaps start looking to add pieces.
Would you be willing to sacrifice your farm talent to get Soto? Would it make sense to require he signs an extension before you trade for him?

Mark Polishuk
I highly doubt Soto agrees to an extension first, unless his acquiring team says "sure, $500MM, done." And sure, I'd be very willing to give up a big chunk of my farm system for even two-plus years of Soto... he's that special a player.
We see deals where “cash considerations” are part of the deal. What kind of cash are they talking about? $10,000, $50,000, $100,000? Thanks!

Mark Polishuk
It varies from player to player, and sometimes it's not even five figures. In some cases, it's a comically small amount... Robinson Cano was apparently swapped for a dollar, according to Bob Nightengale of USA Today.
I always wondered why teams wait until the trade deadline to acquire a player they expect to help win. Why not acquire the player say a week or two sooner to possibly win more games sooner?

Mark Polishuk
Asking prices are higher the further you are away from the deadline.

Also, as noted earlier, front offices have also been busy with the draft, and (this year) with the uncertainty over the QO and the int'l draft talks. Obviously various departments within a front office can focus on different things, but a lot of teams prefer to not have too many plates spinning at the same time.

Related: literally every front office would love to have the draft moved off All-Star week for this very reason.

Tags: