Josh Hader traded to the Padres

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Re: Josh Hader traded to the Padres

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

AdmiralKird wrote:
August 5 22, 11:04 am
What I think that exec is saying is even with all the Padres' winning, they don't believe the average baseball fan is or will be willing to pay all that winning. Season ticket sale volume is fine, but that price will have to soar to pay for what is on the field, and eventually they won't be able to raise it any further. Are they saying their business model doesn't make sense because its insolvent or because its not maximizing profit? idk.
It's already soared and people still paid it. I know "raising ticket prices enormously and watching attendance go through the roof" flies in the face of traditional baseball thinking of "raising ticket prices enormously and pocketing the money."

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
August 5 22, 9:58 am
vinsanity wrote:
August 5 22, 9:06 am
Popeye_Card wrote:
August 5 22, 8:59 am
This trade has really seemed to take it's toll on the morale in the Brewer clubhouse. It'll be interesting to see what happens from here.
I hope they don't win the division but if they do, can my consolation prize being to put to bed the idea of clubhouse chemistry?
put it to bed? You mean realize its a thing? All human beings are subjective. It's a fact that people will perform differently depending on how they feel about themselves and their surroundings. I hope you aren't saying pro baseball players somehow automagically lose their humanity and become automatons.
I didn't say the become total automatons; obviously everything is complex but I don't believe a "clubhouse guy" is more important than talent. More talent means more winning. Winning improves morale more than a "clubhouse guy".

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Season ticket sales are great, but if the Padres keep payroll up where it is they will likely lose money. They are going for broke, and that’s cool, but yeah eventually they will slash payroll and return to where they have been.

I think it is somewhat clear what they are doing. They’ve never won a WS, they have a great window with Tatis et al for a few years, and they are going for it. They just are not a market that can sustain it though. I hope for their fans’ sake that it works.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

I mean, we know they don’t have to cut payroll, and aside from that, who honestly cares? The Padres are creating fans for life and some people are wondering whether the spending is sustainable.

Popeye_Card

Post by Popeye_Card »

They don’t have to, but they will. Their new fans don’t have to stop following them, but many will. It is a gamble on their part if they can win enough to build a more stable fanbase. But chances are they will end up like all of the other mid to small market teams that go through these go-for-broke spurts.

By no means am I saying what the Cardinals do is better. What I am saying is that if the Padres still have a top 5 payroll in 5 years, I’ll eat that one dude’s hat.

AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD

Post by AdmiralKird »

Nintendo thought they were creating fans for life with the Wii and then no one bought the Wii U. You still need an exciting product or people will find something else in a world with ever expanding venues of entertainment. Go back to your last gen Padres and you won't have many new fans. All the people they liked to watch will be mostly gone.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

So the answer is, never try

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

AdmiralKird wrote:
August 5 22, 8:47 pm
Nintendo thought they were creating fans for life with the Wii and then no one bought the Wii U. You still need an exciting product or people will find something else in a world with ever expanding venues of entertainment. Go back to your last gen Padres and you won't have many new fans. All the people they liked to watch will be mostly gone.
Sports teams are quite a bit different than any other brand. They’d all kill for the kind of loyalty that teams have.

Popeye_Card

Post by Popeye_Card »

Famous Mortimer wrote:
August 6 22, 5:42 am
So the answer is, never try
No, it is not. What the Padres are doing is much smarter than what the A’s or Rays try to do - just zombie franchises. The Padres have to try to make a push like this. The bad news for them is that the Dodgers are just up the road and are one of the best ran franchises in baseball in addition to being one of the highest revenues.
They can play with them for a couple years, but they can’t keep up forever.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

We're pointing to a franchise that has never won a World Series as a model of how the Cardinals should manage their organization?