Jordan Montgomery to the Cardinals

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Re: Jordan Montgomery to the Cardinals

Post by Magneto2.0 »

That's exactly how I feel. I think we got the steal of the entire deadline honestly (in terms of what we gave up in comparison to what we got). I'm super excited for Montgomery especially in the Central.

AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD

Post by AdmiralKird »

phins wrote:
August 5 22, 5:32 pm
Magneto2.0 wrote:
August 5 22, 2:18 pm
AdmiralKird wrote:
August 5 22, 1:57 pm
Magneto2.0 wrote:
August 5 22, 12:55 pm
I doubt it, this trade is pretty much a steal for the Cardinals. From the Yankees side I feel like this was a 2 part move and the second part fell through.
Montgomery has been kind of bad since June. His ERA was something like sub 2 and has balloooned to 3.69 since, so theyve been seeing him get rocked for about 7 straight starts. I think they got rid of him because they dont trust him into October and the rest is conjure.
He definitely has not been getting rocked for 7 straight starts lol. He had two bad back to back starts at the end of July, prior to that, he had 4 straight quality starts. At the end of June he had 1 bad start, and 1 mediocre start. He's had 3 bad starts this year, 2 of them being recent, but outside of that, he's been very good.
I truly do not understand how more fans aren’t excited over this deal. Bader was seen in a great light due to defense, but I’m leery of defensive metrics and he doesn’t hit. He runs into an occasional HR, but his approach is so bad.

OTOH, Montgomery projects to be our best SP both this year and next. Wins are wins, but the way this deal worked from a value perspective is decidedly in the Cardinals favor.
The trade is a major difference maker for this team and I wouldn't be surprised if he threw sub-3 the rest of the year. That said, he's still throwing with a 5.54 ERA over his past 8 starts. On a team playing like the Yankees, I believe he lost their confidence and so they were ready to leave Gumby behind after they got Montas. I don't think the Yankees got fleeced by another team and a trade falling apart that they didn't expect, which is what I've read in other places. This is like if your neighbor got a new lawnmower and you walk over and ask "hey, this old lawn mower, your other one, do you want this?"

cardzilla
AA Minor League Player

Post by cardzilla »

phins wrote:
August 5 22, 5:29 pm
I wonder who the players on the PTBNL list are? I want Bader to get healthy because he was a Cardinal and you root for good things for those guys, but I really want him to get healthy so we don’t have to give another player.

this. i sincerely wonder about the PTBNL list.

Spider John
Hall Of Famer

Post by Spider John »

sighyoung wrote:
August 5 22, 1:30 pm
Radbird wrote:
August 5 22, 11:39 am
Meanwhile….
The people who cut his hair off are obviously philistines.
They massacred my boy.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

He looks good with short hair. But now he has a bunch of bandanas he doesn't need.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

Radbird wrote:
August 10 22, 12:26 pm
Very cool of him to do.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

Very nice.
Of course, Harrison's still a seething cauldron of anger because of this.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Obabikon
AAA Minor League Player

Post by Obabikon »

This trade looks better and better.

I enjoyed Bader's glove and speed... but the bat just never came around. I hope he plays well and gets a huge payday, but it was time for a new location for him.

Montgomery looks like a stud right now. I know it won't last forever, but we finally have a good left handed starter.