Jordan Montgomery to the Cardinals

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Jocephus
99% conan clips

Re: Jordan Montgomery to the Cardinals

Post by Jocephus »

i've got a baseball pal who is a yankees fan and he texted me to explain the trade to him. he said he felt the yanks got ripped off, in his amateur opinion. only thing i could tell him is that if harry is healthy he is a pleasure to see roam CF but an OFer with plantar fasciitis is a worrying thing.

you figure the yanks would have access to his medicals before signing off but still, it's kind of a headscratcher. seems like i saw/heard some talking head say that he would really be used as a defensive replacement and help ease the workload of their OFers ahead of the playoffs.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

Radbird wrote:
August 5 22, 11:39 am
Meanwhile….
The people who cut his hair off are obviously philistines.

Spider John
Hall Of Famer

Post by Spider John »

Radbird wrote:
Meanwhile….
Harry?

AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD

Post by AdmiralKird »

Magneto2.0 wrote:
August 5 22, 12:55 pm
I doubt it, this trade is pretty much a steal for the Cardinals. From the Yankees side I feel like this was a 2 part move and the second part fell through.
Montgomery has been kind of bad since June. His ERA was something like sub 2 and has balloooned to 3.69 since, so theyve been seeing him get rocked for about 7 straight starts. I think they got rid of him because they dont trust him into October and the rest is conjure.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

I honestly didn't recognize him until the second time I pulled up this thread. Lol

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Spider John wrote:
August 5 22, 1:53 pm
Radbird wrote:
Meanwhile….
Harry?
Not anymore.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

sighyoung wrote:
August 5 22, 1:30 pm
Radbird wrote:
Meanwhile….
The people who cut his hair off are obviously philistines.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

AdmiralKird wrote:
August 5 22, 1:57 pm
Magneto2.0 wrote:
I doubt it, this trade is pretty much a steal for the Cardinals. From the Yankees side I feel like this was a 2 part move and the second part fell through.
Montgomery has been kind of bad since June. His ERA was something like sub 2 and has balloooned to 3.69 since, so theyve been seeing him get rocked for about 7 straight starts. I think they got rid of him because they dont trust him into October and the rest is conjure.
He definitely has not been getting rocked for 7 straight starts lol. He had two bad back to back starts at the end of July, prior to that, he had 4 straight quality starts. At the end of June he had 1 bad start, and 1 mediocre start. He's had 3 bad starts this year, 2 of them being recent, but outside of that, he's been very good.

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

I wonder who the players on the PTBNL list are? I want Bader to get healthy because he was a Cardinal and you root for good things for those guys, but I really want him to get healthy so we don’t have to give another player.

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

Magneto2.0 wrote:
August 5 22, 2:18 pm
AdmiralKird wrote:
August 5 22, 1:57 pm
Magneto2.0 wrote:
He definitely has not been getting rocked for 7 straight starts lol. He had two bad back to back starts at the end of July, prior to that, he had 4 straight quality starts. At the end of June he had 1 bad start, and 1 mediocre start. He's had 3 bad starts this year, 2 of them being recent, but outside of that, he's been very good.
I truly do not understand how more fans aren’t excited over this deal. Bader was seen in a great light due to defense, but I’m leery of defensive metrics and he doesn’t hit. He runs into an occasional HR, but his approach is so bad.

OTOH, Montgomery projects to be our best SP both this year and next. Wins are wins, but the way this deal worked from a value perspective is decidedly in the Cardinals favor.