Let's mentally prepare ourselves for 2023 FA's...

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Re: Let's mentally prepare ourselves for 2023 FA's...

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

I think the offense will be fine with the youth they are developing and have developed (Walker, Winn, Carlson, Gorman, Edman, Yepez, etc.).

Make starting pitching a priority over everything.

Lesson
Grandmaster Flashchat

Post by Lesson »

Fat_Bulldog wrote:
August 5 22, 12:37 pm
I think the offense will be fine with the youth they are developing and have developed (Walker, Winn, Carlson, Gorman, Edman, Yepez, etc.).

Make starting pitching a priority over everything.
Pitching should be a priority, but there’s nothing in the minors or on the current roster that appears to be “fine” for catcher.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Lesson wrote:
August 5 22, 11:24 am
go birds wrote:
August 5 22, 11:10 am
goldy is a FA in 2025. gorman can DH or whatever for all i care, but gorman should not be blocking any sort of FA acquisition.

put turner at short and gorman at 2B in 2023/24 if you're that attached to gorman
What if I told you Tommy Edman has more WAR than Trea Turner this year (which he does according to BR)?

I’m all for improving the team, but I’d at least want to give Gorman a full season or 2 to show what he’s capable of.

I think the better way of addressing the offense would be going after Wilson Contreras in FA.
what if i told you that turner's actual numbers (not a made up number like WAR) are actually....and bear with me here...are better than edman's?

Trea Turner:
runs: 63
homeruns: 18
RBI: 77
SB: 18
AVG: .305
OPS: .851

Edman:
runs: 69
homeruns: 7
RBI: 37
SB: 22
AVG: .259
OPS: .296

Passing on guy's like turner because some harvard ass nerd's spreadsheet says that edman is better is the reason why this team is constantly floating around the 90 win line and then getting shutout in the wildcard round

Lesson
Grandmaster Flashchat

Post by Lesson »

go birds wrote:
August 5 22, 12:43 pm

what if i told you that turner's actual numbers (not a made up number like WAR) are actually....and bear with me here...are better than edman's?

Trea Turner:
runs: 63
homeruns: 18
RBI: 77
SB: 18
AVG: .305
OPS: .851

Edman:
runs: 69
homeruns: 7
RBI: 37
SB: 22
AVG: .259
OPS: .296

Passing on guy's like turner because some harvard ass nerd's spreadsheet says that edman is better is the reason why this team is constantly floating around the 90 win line and then getting shutout in the wildcard round
If we want to be technical, all numbers are made up and put into a context to give them significance. ;)

Turner is a better hitter than Edman (it's not a debate). However, Edman is a much better defender and hits at least league average (OPS+ of 100 for his career and a .322 OBP). There is still value to be had there.

With how the team's pitching staff is constructed, is there more value in improving an already an above average offense while taking a step back defensively at a position that has a good defensive player at it with an average bat (SS with Edman) or improving a black hole on offense (C with Contreras)?

I think the better value lies in enhancing and improving catcher, not SS or 2B.

And I don't believe statistics or sabermetrics are why the Cardinals are consistently floating around the 90 win line or losing in the WC round. I believe it has to do with the FO's general approach with spending. The rotation's been an issue for 2 years now and this is the first deadline since 2014 they've done anything impactful to improve the roster.

Signing Turner would be like going from a 2019 Equinox to a 2022 Escalade vs signing Contreras is like going from a 1999 Altima to a 2022 Passat at their positions.
Last edited by Lesson on August 5 22, 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

agreed lesson. sign turner, i won't mind but on the surface a 1 to 1 comparison of him and tommy doesn't really do much for me.

Lesson
Grandmaster Flashchat

Post by Lesson »

Jocephus wrote:
August 5 22, 1:03 pm
agreed lesson. sign turner, i won't mind but on the surface a 1 to 1 comparison of him and tommy doesn't really do much for me.
I think Turner is a better player than Edman, but I don’t think the improvement overall is anything more than marginal.

Vs signing Contreras there’s a clear significant improvement at Catcher.

Factor in who can immediately impact the roster positively in the minors (Winn and Herrera) at the positions, too, and I think catcher’s way more glaring of a hole than SS/2B.

Pitching has to be addressed, too. Matz was an OK signing but him alone wasn’t enough and shouldn’t have been the only move made. Assuming Wainwright retires, Flaherty, Matz, and Mikolas all have significant injury histories and that should be factored in for composing the 2023 rotation.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

Catcher should be the number 1 offseason priority (well along with pitching). I know they think Herrera is the catcher of the future, but that's one position where I'd lean heavy into getting a proven commodity.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

The first time the Cardinals sign someone who wasn't previously a Cardinal to a 9-figure contract, it's going to be the funniest player imaginable.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

I am prepared both mentally and physically.