Let's mentally prepare ourselves for 2023 FA's...

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Lesson
Grandmaster Flashchat

Re: Let's mentally prepare ourselves for 2023 FA's...

Post by Lesson »

go birds wrote:
August 5 22, 11:06 am
Lesson wrote:
August 5 22, 9:53 am
go birds wrote:
August 5 22, 7:37 am
JoeMcKim wrote:
August 5 22, 2:37 am
No way the Cardinals sign Trea Turner for 30 to 40 million a year when they have Masyn Winn on the verge of debuting in the majors.
2nd base :wink:
Where would Gorman play?
1st base
And Goldschmidt to DH?

I don't think Goldschmidt's that much of a liability defensively where he has to be restricted to DH yet.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

goldy is a FA in 2025. gorman can DH or whatever for all i care, but gorman should not be blocking any sort of FA acquisition.

put turner at short and gorman at 2B in 2023/24 if you're that attached to gorman

Lesson
Grandmaster Flashchat

Post by Lesson »

go birds wrote:
August 5 22, 11:10 am
goldy is a FA in 2025. gorman can DH or whatever for all i care, but gorman should not be blocking any sort of FA acquisition.

put turner at short and gorman at 2B in 2023/24 if you're that attached to gorman
What if I told you Tommy Edman has more WAR than Trea Turner this year (which he does according to BR)?

I’m all for improving the team, but I’d at least want to give Gorman a full season or 2 to show what he’s capable of.

I think the better way of addressing the offense would be going after Wilson Contreras in FA.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

I am fascinated that people seem to care more about winning the off season or winning the trade deadline than winning the games.

Certainly not criticizing. Everyone is entitled to be a fan however they like.

Just fascinated by this mentality.

Lesson
Grandmaster Flashchat

Post by Lesson »

dmarx114 wrote:
August 5 22, 11:32 am
I am fascinated that people seem to care more about winning the off season or winning the trade deadline than winning the games.

Certainly not criticizing. Everyone is entitled to be a fan however they like.

Just fascinated by this mentality.
Well, the FO's approach regarding pitching and the offseason in general leaves much to be desired.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

Lesson wrote:
August 5 22, 11:24 am
go birds wrote:

What if I told you Tommy Edman has more WAR than Trea Turner this year (which he does according to BR)?

I’m all for improving the team, but I’d at least want to give Gorman a full season or 2 to show what he’s capable of.

I think the better way of addressing the offense would be going after Wilson Contreras in FA.
I like the idea of Contreras. They can add 3-4 wins with him over whatever replacement level catching options they have. That's like going from Carlson to Soto.

Is he still a potential full time catcher? Looks like he's been DHing a lot lately.

Lesson
Grandmaster Flashchat

Post by Lesson »

haltz wrote:
August 5 22, 11:45 am
Lesson wrote:
August 5 22, 11:24 am
go birds wrote:

I like the idea of Contreras. They can add 3-4 wins with him over whatever replacement level catching options they have. That's like going from Carlson to Soto.

Is he still a potential full time catcher? Looks like he's been DHing a lot lately.
I’m not sure. He started 112 games at catcher last year, though.

His bat would be an immense upgrade over the current black hole at C and, to rest him, you could slide him to DH to still get bat in the lineup.

I’d go either after him or Vazquez in FA before anyone else for a position player.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

I would consider Contreras a starting catcher, though he's shown over his career that if he catches too many games in a season, his offensive production suffers under the workload. It's not a coincidence that he's having an offensive renaissance with the DH as an option and the strongest backup C they've had in several years. But in contrast to what the Cardinals have been used to, you're gonna want a backup you're comfortable starting 50-60 games instead of 25-35, because otherwise you dilute the benefit of signing Contreras by grinding down his offensive value.

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
August 5 22, 12:08 pm
I would consider Contreras a starting catcher, though he's shown over his career that if he catches too many games in a season, his offensive production suffers under the workload. It's not a coincidence that he's having an offensive renaissance with the DH as an option and the strongest backup C they've had in several years. But in contrast to what the Cardinals have been used to, you're gonna want a backup you're comfortable starting 50-60 games instead of 25-35, because otherwise you dilute the benefit of signing Contreras by grinding down his offensive value.
Are you surprised the Cubs didn't trade him? Think they'll resign him?

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

G. Keenan wrote:
August 5 22, 12:21 pm
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
August 5 22, 12:08 pm
Are you surprised the Cubs didn't trade him? Think they'll resign him?
I was surprised, though I can think of some logical reasons why it didn't happen. Before the deadline, I think you could make the case that the Cubs didn't rate Contreras all that highly as a catcher(no extension, bringing in Gomes), and trading him would be moving on with some prospects to help ease the transition. What the deadline seems to indicate is that the Cubs rate him highly enough that the offers they were getting for him changed the calculus of bringing him back. If other teams don't really rate his defense super highly(as illustrated by trade offers), and with the qualifying offer sticking around when it was assumed to be gone, all of a sudden you can see where the Cubs and Willson were maybe $X apart in extension talks, that it's less likely someone else bridges that gap thanks to his league perception and the penalty of the QO. So I do think they'll try to bring him back in a more aggressive way than they did with Bryant/Rizzo/Baez, but I also wouldn't be shocked if they let him go and use the QO pick as a cushion to be aggressive with a different QO FA(like one of the SS). The consistently successful big market teams tend to treat the QO this way(only signing one when they're also losing one), so that might be a consideration too.