Padres' Fernando Tatis Jr. violates MLB PED policy, hit with 80 Game Suspension

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Re: Padres' Fernando Tatis Jr. violates MLB PED policy, hit with 80 Game Suspension

Post by heyzeus »

G. Keenan wrote:
August 15 22, 8:43 am
That statement is total BS. First of all, who gets ringworm? Especially in the millionaire mansion dwelling classes.

And if it were all an innocent mistake, he'd be appealing the suspension. No way with his team a potential WS contender does he just say, whoop, my bad, honest mistake, I could have a case and be back in time to help my team win its 1st ever World Series, but I'll just instead dutifully accept that my season is over because some ringworm medication dinged the PED test?

Nah. He's roiding.
I wonder how many players still are roiding and getting away with it. The fact that a few get caught every year obviously suggests that there are others that don't. Wonder what the thought process is. I imagine there are some players who think they can game the system, probably with inside information on the testing schedule? Like, "my man bobby is in the league office, and he told me i won't be peeing in a cup until Aug 10, so I can get a cycle in and piss clean by then." Then it turns out Bobby was off by a week, and he's screwed? Gotta be something like that.

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Re: Padres' Fernando Tatis Jr. violates MLB PED policy, hit with 80 Game Suspension

Post by G. Keenan »

heyzeus wrote:
August 15 22, 9:07 am
G. Keenan wrote:
August 15 22, 8:43 am
That statement is total BS. First of all, who gets ringworm? Especially in the millionaire mansion dwelling classes.

And if it were all an innocent mistake, he'd be appealing the suspension. No way with his team a potential WS contender does he just say, whoop, my bad, honest mistake, I could have a case and be back in time to help my team win its 1st ever World Series, but I'll just instead dutifully accept that my season is over because some ringworm medication dinged the PED test?

Nah. He's roiding.
I wonder how many players still are roiding and getting away with it. The fact that a few get caught every year obviously suggests that there are others that don't. Wonder what the thought process is. I imagine there are some players who think they can game the system, probably with inside information on the testing schedule? Like, "my man bobby is in the league office, and he told me i won't be peeing in a cup until Aug 10, so I can get a cycle in and piss clean by then." Then it turns out Bobby was off by a week, and he's screwed? Gotta be something like that.
For sure there are some who have figured out workarounds. Look at the creativity and coordination that professional cycling puts into doping. MLB players with much greater financial resources I'm sure can get hooked up with chemists and trainers and others who can help them evade testing. The temptation is probably especially strong when they're on the DL and eager to get back to the team. They probably figure they can roid to heal faster and since they aren't actually competing, what's the harm?

I buy very few of the periodic defenses we get from caught players that the PEDs were some innocent unknown component of their cold medicine or eczema treatment or whatever. C'mon.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

All the "he needs to grow up" takes are kind of cringe to me.

But if he was more mature; he wouldn't have put his worm somewhere where he'd end up with a ring on it.

Spider John
Hall Of Famer

Post by Spider John »

Anyone remember the Great Ringworm Epidemic during the summer of 1998?

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Fernando Tatis Sr. says 'all of baseball' loses with son suspended 80 games for 'something so insignificant'
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/344 ... ignificant

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Fernando has to be on his son's side, but rules is rules

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

CardsofSTL wrote:
August 15 22, 6:37 pm
You can say that again.

AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD

Post by AdmiralKird »

He's the first and only father to be on his son's side twice in one controversy and pertaining to the same infraction.

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

Here's my hot take:

Tatis Jr. will be JD Drew. Tons of raw talent and promise, spends half his career on the DL.