8/14 GDT: Brewers(Ashby) vs Cardinals(Mikolas) 1:15 PM CT

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Donnie Ebert
Perennial All-Star

Re: 8/14 GDT: Brewers(Ashby) vs Cardinals(Mikolas) 1:15 PM CT

Post by Donnie Ebert »

I was driving and listening to this game. As Albert was coming up in the 8th, I thought of Rooney and Horton mentioning all the first pitch strikes, and I wondered if the old man might pounce on one. Nice surprise to hear two Pujols dingers in one afternoon, especially given the gravity of the game.

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

Donnie Ebert wrote:
August 14 22, 4:15 pm
I was driving and listening to this game. As Albert was coming up in the 8th, I thought of Rooney and Horton mentioning all the first pitch strikes, and I wondered if the old man might pounce on one. Nice surprise to hear two Pujols dingers in one afternoon, especially given the gravity of the game.
It was a center cut 94 mph meatball and Pujols did not miss it.

Was doing stuff in the basement with the kiddos and it was fun to see.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

DeadMoney
Veteran Player

Post by DeadMoney »

The 2nd bomb from Albert is probably the best moment of the season. That was sweet.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

DeadMoney wrote:
August 15 22, 7:50 am
The 2nd bomb from Albert is probably the best moment of the season. That was sweet.
Won't lie, I was in the "we're signing Pujols as a nostalgia/ticket sales game" camp. I thought he'd be blocking Yepez and Gorman, who made a much better DH platoon, plus we had the ghost of Dickerson. Used correctly (and Oli mostly has), Albert's been a legit threat.

DeadMoney
Veteran Player

Post by DeadMoney »

heyzeus wrote:
August 15 22, 8:00 am
DeadMoney wrote:
Won't lie, I was in the "we're signing Pujols as a nostalgia/ticket sales game" camp. I thought he'd be blocking Yepez and Gorman, who made a much better DH platoon, plus we had the ghost of Dickerson. Used correctly (and Oli mostly has), Albert's been a legit threat.
It's been great to see him contribute. I thought the same way. Thought it would make the team a little "less good" but was fine with it because of the nostalgia factor. So far, it's been the best of both worlds.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

DeadMoney wrote:
August 15 22, 8:24 am
heyzeus wrote:
DeadMoney wrote:
It's been great to see him contribute. I thought the same way. Thought it would make the team a little "less good" but was fine with it because of the nostalgia factor. So far, it's been the best of both worlds.
Also, it sure looks like the season will end with him at like 694 HR or something. There's no way a dude as competitive as Albert just up and retires there....right? Esp if he finishes out the year near where he is now (.785 OPS, 125 OPS+)?

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

That Birds on the Bat pimp job was epic. Serious goosebumps. I'm not one for grandstanding homeruns in the modern era. But Im a damn hypocrite when it comes to Albert.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

heyzeus wrote:
August 15 22, 9:04 am
DeadMoney wrote:
heyzeus wrote:
DeadMoney wrote:
Also, it sure looks like the season will end with him at like 694 HR or something. There's no way a dude as competitive as Albert just up and retires there....right? Esp if he finishes out the year near where he is now (.785 OPS, 125 OPS+)?
700 is just such an enticing number. Bonds*, Aaron, Ruth...Pujols. An elite group for sure.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

heyzeus wrote:
August 15 22, 9:04 am
DeadMoney wrote:
heyzeus wrote:
DeadMoney wrote:
He's not coming back, even if he's at 699.