8/16 GDT: Rockies(Freeland) vs Cardinals(Quintana) 6:45 PM CT

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Re: 8/16 GDT: Rockies(Freeland) vs Cardinals(Quintana) 6:45 PM CT

Post by Popeye_Card »

The pitch to Rizzo was almost a strike. That was a no-brainer.

I think you could argue that TON could get out of the way, but it was at least a clear ball well outside of the zone. You could argue as a hitter getting set, it is difficult to react and get out of the way on a pitch like that.

Tags:

NDark
Veteran Player

Post by NDark »

So is a batter required to attempt to get out of the way? I thought that a batter could hold their ground and not move. As long as they didn't move into the pitch it was legal.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

NDark wrote:
August 17 22, 2:10 pm
So is a batter required to attempt to get out of the way? I thought that a batter could hold their ground and not move. As long as they didn't move into the pitch it was legal.
Nope, they’re supposed to “attempt” to move out of the way per the rule.

I never see it called if they just stand there and take it though

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

Rizzo was crowding the plate to begin with, as Popeye noted.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

NDark wrote:
August 17 22, 2:10 pm
Rule 5.05.b: The batter becomes a runner and is entitled to first base without liability to be put out (provided he advances to and touches first base) when:

(2) He is touched by a pitched ball which he is not attempting to hit unless (A) The ball is in the strike zone when it touches the batter, or (B) The batter makes no attempt to avoid being touched by the ball;

If the ball is in the strike zone when it touches the batter, it shall be called a strike, whether or not the batter tries to avoid the ball. If the ball is outside the strike zone when it touches the batter, it shall be called a ball if he makes no attempt to avoid being touched.

APPROVED RULING: When the batter is touched by a pitched ball which does not entitle him to first base, the ball is dead and no runner may advance.

NDark
Veteran Player

Post by NDark »

Crazy. I've been taught wrong my whole life and my son is being told wrong now. But I can't imagine that being called if someone stands still and it hits them. Never thought to actually look it up. Ha

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

NDark wrote:
August 17 22, 5:31 pm
Crazy. I've been taught wrong my whole life and my son is being told wrong now. But I can't imagine that being called if someone stands still and it hits them. Never thought to actually look it up. Ha
I called that once in a 7th grade game. The pitcher was terrible and it was a walk-fest. One an attempted curve ball that didn't curve it came in real slow and plunked the batter who laughed and then looked into his dugout. I called time and told him to get back in the box. He went all the way to 1st before he acknowledged what I said. Almost tossed the little prick.