Anthony Franco's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Anthony Franco's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Anthony Franco that occurred on August 16. (You can find him on Twitter at @affranco10 if you really want to ask him something.)

He got to all the NL Central teams. No bonus Q&As this time.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-chat ... 13739.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Brewers look lost since the Hader trade. Is Stearns out after this year?

Anthony Franco
Nah they're not going to fire Stearns over one trade and I really don't think it's as bad as people are making it out to be. They're trying to strike a balancing act between the present and the future, and Ruiz could contribute this year.

It was a bold trade but they're clearly of the belief the drop-off between Hader and Rogers isn't so stark it's worth passing up on Gasser and Ruiz. I think that's reasonable.
Franmil Reyes a good pickup for the Cubs?

Anthony Franco
I'm not super bullish on him, but it can't hurt. Not super expensive, two extra years of arb control if he does figure it out.
Thoughts on the Reds being competitive by 2024?

Anthony Franco
Feels viable to me. Stephenson, Greene, Lodolo, India, Ashcraft is a good starting point. If they hit on some of their depth adds, I could see them being competitive two years from now.
Does STL look for a catcher this winter? Knizner was supposed to be the Yadi successor, but he hasn’t hit whatsoever.

Anthony Franco
They should add a veteran complement but it'll probably be Ivan Herrera's job. Knizner's no longer the guy, I agree.
Do the Cubs sign Nico long term?

Anthony Franco
Yeah I'm sold on Hoerner as a core piece there. He's already controllable through 2025, but I'd look to tack on a guaranteed season with a club option or two if he's open to it.
Contreras to St. Louis? Any chance?

Anthony Franco
Contreras doesn't feel like their kind of target with how much they prioritize defense. He's gotten better behind the plate but is still more of a bat-first guy.
Are the Pirates too far away from contention to trade for a controllable starter from the Pablo Lopez mold?

Anthony Franco
On Pablo specifically, yeah. He's arb-eligible through 2024, and that's a tough window for Pittsburgh. 2024 contention is viable but not something I'd bank on hard enough I'm giving up top prospects to pry López away.

If we're talking someone like Skubal, who's around through 2026, that makes more sense.
Is it possible that the Cardinals spend potential Arenado money elsewhere with Walker in the wings? They've never been afraid to walk away from their best impending FA.

Anthony Franco
Man, that'd be pretty bold. Feels like they'll find a way to keep Arenado around, particularly since he's talked so much about wanting to be there, and just work Walker in through DH and the corner outfield eventually.
Will Contreras surpass JT Realmuto in terms of AAV and Total Dollars?

Anthony Franco
Don't think so. Feels like there's more consensus about Realmuto's ability to stick behind the plate for the duration of the deal than there will be with Willson.

Tags: