Playoff Rotation

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
jack76
Everyday Player

Re: Playoff Rotation

Post by jack76 »

CardsofSTL wrote:
September 29 22, 11:19 am
Kind of like the idea of Flaherty being used in a piggyback type of start. Maybe not in the first series but if they advance for sure.
I'd rather them start Flaherty for 1-2 times through the line-up and then come in with Waino for 1-2 times through the line-up and then follow-up with fire breathing relievers to change the batters timing from fast to slow to fast

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

Cards have an interesting array of options when you look at the pitching staff as a whole.

Waino, Flaherty, Hudson, Matz, Hicks (assuming he's healthy), and Pallante can all be used for multiple innings.

Oli needs to have a quick hook in the playoffs. Will be a challenge for him. Hopefully his inexperience doesn't cost us.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

dmarx114 wrote:
September 29 22, 11:47 am
Cards have an interesting array of options when you look at the pitching staff as a whole.

Waino, Flaherty, Hudson, Matz, Hicks (assuming he's healthy), and Pallante can all be used for multiple innings.

Oli needs to have a quick hook in the playoffs. Will be a challenge for him. Hopefully his inexperience doesn't cost us.
Agreed. No starter should go past 5 innings, or get to 3 times through the heart of the lineup - whichever comes first. You can easily go 4 IP - 2 IP - 2 IP - 1 IP - Hell's Bells on back to back days, without burning through the staff.

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

I generally like the idea of not going through a lineup three times. Data shows this to be the correct play.

With that said, I do honestly believe there is an element of feel in the decision. If a starter is pitching a shutout, still locating, and still has their velocity, not sure I can take him out simply to avoid a third time through.

Popeye_Card

Post by Popeye_Card »

phins wrote:
September 30 22, 9:18 am
I generally like the idea of not going through a lineup three times. Data shows this to be the correct play.

With that said, I do honestly believe there is an element of feel in the decision. If a starter is pitching a shutout, still locating, and still has their velocity, not sure I can take him out simply to avoid a third time through.
I think the SP would really have to be dominating, and outside of maybe Monty or Flaherty (if he starts) we just don't have that type of SP's. The only thing that concerns me with planning for multiple relievers each game is the "Russian Roulette" effect - try enough pitchers, and you'll eventually find one that doesn't have it that day.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

phins wrote:

Complete agree all around.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/m ... 759215001/

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Jason
How would you line up starters for the Cardinals WC series? Mikolas/Montgomery/Waino with Flaherty/Quintana in reserve of any poor outings? Thanks for all your chats; brings a smile whenever I see it on the site.

Ben Clemens
Thanks! And if we're assuming they play the Phillies, I think they'll try to get two lefties in there, so Q and Montgomery
Wainwright has also been really bad of late
23 ER in 6 starts in September
I don't think you want that in a best-of-3 playoff series

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Jocephus wrote:
October 3 22, 12:24 pm
Jason
How would you line up starters for the Cardinals WC series? Mikolas/Montgomery/Waino with Flaherty/Quintana in reserve of any poor outings? Thanks for all your chats; brings a smile whenever I see it on the site.

Ben Clemens
Thanks! And if we're assuming they play the Phillies, I think they'll try to get two lefties in there, so Q and Montgomery
Wainwright has also been really bad of late
23 ER in 6 starts in September
I don't think you want that in a best-of-3 playoff series
Jason must not have been watching much baseball in September.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Yeah, I think I start Mikolas and Quintana 1/2 and it doesn't matter which is first to me. Then Monty in game 3. Flaherty as a piggyback for one of those games. Waino relieves if we get way ahead or way behind in any of them.

Popeye_Card

Post by Popeye_Card »

Popeye_Card wrote:
September 30 22, 9:36 am
phins wrote:

I think the SP would really have to be dominating, and outside of maybe Monty or Flaherty (if he starts) we just don't have that type of SP's. The only thing that concerns me with planning for multiple relievers each game is the "Russian Roulette" effect - try enough pitchers, and you'll eventually find one that doesn't have it that day.
OK, already questioning this strategy.