Anthony Franco's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Anthony Franco's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Anthony Franco that occurred on September 13. (You can find him on Twitter at @affranco10 if you really want to ask him something.)

A decent chat this time. One bonus Q&A about the effect the new rules might have on offense.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-chat ... 13931.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Would the Brewers consider trading Yelich this off-season?

Anthony Franco
I'm sure they'd love to get out from under the contract but I can't see anyone taking them up on it. Yelich just hasn't played at that level in three years now.
% chance either Woodruff or Burnes is moved this offseason?

Anthony Franco
Obviously I'm just arbitrarily picking odds but it feels likely to me they deal one of them this winter to secure the best return they'd be able to get. 60%?
What do the Cards do with Jack Flaherty this off-season?

Anthony Franco
Boring answer, but I'd just tender him a contract and run it back for a final season. Not a good time to trade him but I think he's too talented to non-tender to save like $6-7MM.
Does Pujols stay retired or pull a Brady and come back before 2023?

Anthony Franco
He's consistently maintained he's done after this year. No reason not to take him at his word.
Ryan Pepiot, Michael Busch and Eddys Leonard for Corbin Burnes. Who says no first?

Anthony Franco
I think Milwaukee can beat it. Not a terrible offer, but they'd probably want a better headliner.
Who are the Cards' catching tandem next year?

Anthony Franco
Probably Herrera and a veteran free agent. Austin Hedges/Roberto Pérez defensive type.
With the rules changing next year such as bigger bases and limited shift, do you see a more exploding offense in 2023?

Anthony Franco
Nah I think they're marginal changes. Doubt the bases move the needle much at all, and the shift ban should increase the batting average on balls in play initially but probably eventually leads to more three-true-outcome hitters in the long run.

Tags: