Jocephus
99% conan clips

Re: MV3 2.0

Post by Jocephus »

5 Run Homer
quick, give me your major award picks for this season

Dan Szymborski
AL: Rodriguez by a hair, Judge, Verlander, Hyde
NL: No comment, Arenado, not sure yet who I'd take between Alcantara/Rodon/Nola, Roberts
(I'm an NL ROY and we agree to not say our vote)

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Funny how fickle the favorites for awards can be. Couple weeks ago everyone was saying MVP Goldschmidt

Schlich
Don't tone police me bro!

Post by Schlich »

I think that's what he's saying with the 'no comment' (we all know who it is). Idk what ROY stands for in this context though...

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Schlich wrote:
September 29 22, 10:52 am
I think that's what he's saying with the 'no comment' (we all know who it is). Idk what ROY stands for in this context though...
His no comment was abstaining from selecting a NL ROY since he is a voter

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Schlich wrote:
September 29 22, 10:52 am
Rookie of the Year. He's saying no comment as he has a vote for it.

Schlich
Don't tone police me bro!

Post by Schlich »

ohhhhh okay. I got confused/was just skimming and was reading it as AL/NL MVP choices

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Schlich wrote:
September 29 22, 12:50 pm
ohhhhh okay. I got confused/was just skimming and was reading it as AL/NL MVP choices
NL ROY is Strider by a mile.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Aj
I know earlier in the year you said you supported Arenado over Goldschmidt for the NL MVP, have your opinions or rankings changed?

Jay Jaffe
They've both scuffled this September. I'm actually of the mind right now that i'd think about Manny Machado given how much less help he's had keeping the Padres in this while having significantly less help. They're all within 0.1 of each other by fWAR, though Machado is a beat behind them in bWAR. I'd look more closely before casting my ballot, which is tough to do while chatting.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

Jocephus wrote:
September 30 22, 1:19 pm
Aj
I know earlier in the year you said you supported Arenado over Goldschmidt for the NL MVP, have your opinions or rankings changed?

Jay Jaffe
They've both scuffled this September. I'm actually of the mind right now that i'd think about Manny Machado given how much less help he's had keeping the Padres in this while having significantly less help. They're all within 0.1 of each other by fWAR, though Machado is a beat behind them in bWAR. I'd look more closely before casting my ballot, which is tough to do while chatting.
I don't really get that line of thinking...

machado had a GREAT august...

but is just pretty good in September (only hitting 253), and was pitiful in July...so he's had one truly great month July on...

BUUUTTT you know who was better in august than machado's one great month? goldy (1.115 OPS with 9 HRs for goldy, and 1.011 OPS with 6 HRS for machado)

and goldy was obviously better in July than Machado's awful July

we complain about Goldy's September, but he's hitting 241 to machado's 253, so it's not like machado is a world beater at the tail end of this season...

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

John B
Goldschmidt's terrible OAA which is dragging down his MVP case. He's been excellent this year, saving tons of errors with his glove - does OAA not pick that up!

Ben Clemens
I'm unsure how OAA handles scoops and the like. I'm skeptical that he's as bad of a defender as OAA thinks. That said, he has some shortcomings, like range and throwing arm
They're minimized at first, and I would generally regress his defense back to the mean, but I don't think you can just watch him, say 'eh he's good at catching errant throws', and run with that
fwiw I'd vote for him by a mile just on the general view that you should care less about defensive statistics in MVP voting
TomBruno23
"fwiw I'd vote for him by a mile just on the general view that you should care less about defensive statistics in MVP voting" I agree with this in general although I do think some credit has to be given to guys like Machado and Arenado who play a much more demanding defensive position.

Ben Clemens
Oh yeah, I think you can take position into account, and even the fact that Arenado and Machado are both great defenders year in and year out
If you want to use like a four-year rolling average of defensive metrics, I'd be more into that
One-season numbers are noisy, though, and we all know it