MV3 2.0

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
haltz
Hall Of Famer

MV3 2.0

Post by haltz »

Don't have much to add here, just found this interesting since Edman has been red hot lately, is up to 6.4 bWAR on the season and on pace to eclipse 7 WAR, with Arenado and Goldy already there. Only a handful of times in the history of baseball have three players in the same lineup pulled this off. We're pretty familiar with the most recent trio.

Code: Select all

Rk     Team  Season   Count  Player List 
1      STL   2004     3      Jim Edmonds Albert Pujols Scott Rolen
2      DET   1961     3      Norm Cash Rocky Colavito Al Kaline
3      NYY   1929     3      Lou Gehrig Tony Lazzeri Babe Ruth
4      NYY   1927     3      Earle Combs Lou Gehrig Babe Ruth
Wow, it's putting a lot of stock in 1961 fielding numbers to say they were more valuable, but that year Cash and Kaline combined for a higher WAR than Maris and Mantle.

a_smith
Perennial All-Star

Re: MV3 2.0

Post by a_smith »

Thanks for posting this. For grins I looked up the 27 yankees. That is just unfair.
Ruth and Gehrig having 2 of the top 10 seasons of all time. Wow.

1927 -Yankees
Ruth- 12.6 WAR
Gehrig-11.9 WAR
Combs- 7.1 WAR
add in Lazzeri 6.4

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

jas
Who you got for the MVPs?

Dan Szymborski
I would vote for Judge in the AL
the NL is really tight between Arenado and Goldschmidt for me.
I may use 3B to break the tie as I think that based on the historical deviations between good and bad 3B defensively, generalized position adjustments possibly shortchange 3B by a run or two

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

it is crazy to think about how great the lineup is for LAD, and their highest bWAR player is lower than our top 3 (betts checks in at #8 after goldy #3, adenado #4, Edman #6)

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Jocephus wrote:
September 15 22, 11:03 am
jas
Who you got for the MVPs?

Dan Szymborski
I would vote for Judge in the AL
the NL is really tight between Arenado and Goldschmidt for me.
I may use 3B to break the tie as I think that based on the historical deviations between good and bad 3B defensively, generalized position adjustments possibly shortchange 3B by a run or two
Goldy could make this a lot easier if he just wins the triple crown. Id much rather have that award.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

This could easily be an AJ Pollock type fluke monster bWAR year from Edman on the back of unsustainable defensive numbers, but OTOH in almost 500 games he has a higher WAR/162 than Bryce Harper and Freddie Freeman, just shy of Manny Machado and Trea Turner.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

It's weird that the bullish case for Edman's value kinda relies on the Cardinals consistently mis-evaluating him. Much of that value comes from positional scarcity and defense(though his baserunning is a sneaky source of value), and his peaks like this year are based on him being like a +10 SS and +15 2B. That would be at odds with how the Cardinals have treated him, where he spent significant time in the minors not at SS, and since graduating he consistently gets moved down the defensive spectrum for players like DeJong who are neither superior hitters nor are they +10 SS.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Edman also highlights the relative usefulness of scouting reports on fielding. 45? LOL.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

jas
Not asking who you would vote for, but how do you think the NL MVP vote will shake out? Top 5?

Ben Clemens
I think Goldschmidt will comfortably win, with Freeman second and Arenado third. I guess I'd say Mookie 4th Manny 5th?

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

How this year's top two NL MVP candidates, Paul Goldschmidt and Nolan Arenado, are feeding off each other
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/346 ... ling-other